[POLL] New Default skin?

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
Spectral Dragon

Re: [POLL] New Default skin?

Post by Spectral Dragon »

naderman wrote:Hi,

on http://www.subblue.com" target="_blank you can find:
subBlue wrote:2004 will see the release of the next phpBB version, which will sport a radical new look...
And I'm sure we're going to find out more about this, when beta (maybe a little later) is out :D

naderman
I find I like subblue's work, but I do also like having a few options to give to my members. I myself love playing with new skins, so I add that one to the subblue one and I tend to like giving 3-4 other options in skins. hopefully there will be a few out when the new version is released, but if not I can wait.
grön

Post by grön »

grrrlromeo wrote:The users on my board freak out when things change. As is I'm sure I'll have to guide users through the new features in 2.2.

Even if you have a crappy layout, once users get used to it they become comfortable with where things are and the colors of those things. When you change it, even if it's for the better, there is a time of adjustment and discomfort (and bitching and moaning) until they get used it again. For example, you've got users who've clicked the Submit button hundreds of times to the point where they don't have to think about where it is, they just know where to move their mouse. If you were to move the Submit button, they would have to stop and think about where it is, and they don't like to think about things like that.

Users like continuity. They only like change when it's a new useful feature. Especially when you've got lots of users who post everyday and see a board as a sort of home. When you change things, it's like rearranging their furniture.

That's my theory on design. I'm in no way trying to tell the devs what to do, because I, and I alone, am responsible for the design of my site. So really, regardless if the default skin changes, I'll just change it to match the design of my site anyway. :)

You got everting right there.. And if you want people to come in and start using a forum for the first time keep it simple like subSilver
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH
mrpta

Post by mrpta »

The new look thing, everything actually seems, umm large. Well certainly bigger than versions I'm used to. I guess I get used to the size, a small price for the very cool functionality of this version.

As you see, I'm new round here, so there I've had my little say ;)
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

mrpta wrote:The new look thing, everything actually seems, umm large. Well certainly bigger than versions I'm used to. I guess I get used to the size, a small price for the very cool functionality of this version.

Tools > Text Size > Medium (That's the default, and it seems millions of IE users don't realise they had it on "Largest" for decades).
mrpta

Post by mrpta »

SHS` wrote:
mrpta wrote:The new look thing, everything actually seems, umm large. Well certainly bigger than versions I'm used to. I guess I get used to the size, a small price for the very cool functionality of this version.

Tools > Text Size > Medium (That's the default, and it seems millions of IE users don't realise they had it on "Largest" for decades).
Heh, thanks for the help, however I was referring to the graphics, however, it's probably just me! Your going to hate me for this, I'm an iMac user... :P
DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

mrpta wrote:
SHS` wrote:

Heh, thanks for the help, however I was referring to the graphics, however, it's probably just me! Your going to hate me for this, I'm an iMac user... :P
I have a PowerBook, and it doesn't look big to me. Are you running an exceptionally low resolution?
molotov

Post by molotov »

Do not think of skins as "new" and "old", but rather as constantly evolving.

You mentioned the IPB skin. It is not that different from the "old" one at all. In fact, it is so similiar that someone who was not familiar with IPB would probably not even notice a difference. They would notice that it looked better, but would not be able to pin-point why.

This skin is evolving, it is not complete. You say that it cannot decide what type of skin it is going to be, almost like it is a problem. It is not a problem at all, it shows that this is still in development... which may explain why its address is area51.phpbb.com....

Jordan
MKruer

Post by MKruer »

One of the subtitle features I would like to see in the default skin deals with the textarea tags. I think that by default they should be set to 100% width of the cell. I have been playing with the templates (just minor tweaks), and found very positive feedback with the above setting. I also plan on implement (at least on my site) the ability for the text window to grow vertically, to avoid the scrollbars. This is something you might want to consider in the final release of the default skin for 2.2.x.
Mini

Post by Mini »

the vB skin changed.
i hate the new IPB skin and I already dislike the subsilver one.
phpBB deserves a sleak rich coloured design..
olger901

Post by olger901 »

Mini wrote: the vB skin changed.
i hate the new IPB skin and I already dislike the subsilver one.
phpBB deserves a sleak rich coloured design..
I actually like the phpBB skin compared to the slow sluggish new vbulletin skin with tons of javascripts (which oftenly can cause vurnerabilities).
-