Default 2.2 theme. Images to optimised PNG?

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
DoD

Re: Default 2.2 theme. Images to optimised PNG?

Post by DoD »

Not Radio wrote:When Opera renders tables in a sane fashion (i.e. handling all of the attributes correctly), maybe I will call it decent.
It renders tables perfectly.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Not Radio wrote:When Opera renders tables in a sane fashion (i.e. handling all of the attributes correctly), maybe I will call it decent.
Then you probably never tried table with multiple colspans/rowspans with Mozilla and IE. Both those browsers show it incorrectly and Opera is the only browser that does show it correctly. Example: http://www.icecell.net" target="_blank Look on column on left where it sais "latest news" - and then look at it with Opera and you'll see how it should have been shown (and don't mind incorrect flash movie on top - looks like website owner messed it up again after i fixed it).

DoD

Post by DoD »

Hmmmm...

In opera, theres a big bit missing... but the flash in the forums works fine...

All i can tell thats different is in IE, the thrid table is a mile down the page, but in Opera its snug... and like it should be i assume?

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Not Radio wrote:
When Opera renders tables in a sane fashion (i.e. handling all of the attributes correctly), maybe I will call it decent.
Please don't blame the browser at not rendering your invalid tag soup because it doesn't emulate the deficiencies of Internet Explorer 100%. :D
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

kuato

Post by kuato »

Not Radio wrote: There's no licensing conflict at all. One is free, the other is not. You can still use GIF's freely, regardless of whether or not the license has expired. You do need to pay royalties if you are distributing software that encodes GIF's.
My bad for not explaining this better. The licensing issue I meant was creating GIFs. The LZW compression algorithm is patented by Unisys so a program like Photoshop, CorelDraw etc pays a licensing fee. If you buy those programs you can create GIFs no problem. But if you use something free like Gimp(www.gimp.org) then you can't create GIFs because of the licensing fee. However you can create PNGs with Gimp. The annoying issue with Microsoft is that with each release they somehow keep forgetting to support transparent PNGs which is a pain in the ass to us using Gimp since we can only create PNGs.

This might have changed recently I don't know. My windows machine has IE 5.5 and even it doesn't support transparent PNGs but maybe that changed in IE 6.0 I'm not sure. IE will render the PNG but just not in a transparent way so you are forced to use a GIF in those situations. It's complete BS that IE can't render a transparent PNG by default, you have to hack it to make it work.

Here's a really good article about it: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/" target="_blank
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2

DoD

Post by DoD »

It doesnt work in IE6 either

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

The patent on LZW has expired (at least in the USA), so that point is moot. However, technically, PNG > GIF - Better Compression at the same quality :)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

kuato

Post by kuato »

Ugh, transparent PNGs aren't supported in IE 6 either?

/rude Microsoft
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2

RyanThaDude29

Post by RyanThaDude29 »

Good luck getting IE to support transparent PNGs even in future versions :roll:

DoD

Post by DoD »

transparent pngs wont really see it into websites for a few years now, simply becuase MS simply refuses to code it into IE