START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

This is a temporary forum setup for the purpose of discussing the EMC standards
Locked
User avatar
GPHemsley
Registered User
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Long Beach, NY
Contact:

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by GPHemsley » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:31 am

Hmm, then I think there are conflicts on both sides of this issue:
- EasyMOD itself only looks for the presence of "EasyMOD" (or some other-case form of that, I forget)
- Putting "EasyMOD Compatible" at the top is the pretty much the same as saying that it's "installable with EasyMOD" in the Author Notes.

So, I don't know.... But I guess I'll take back what I said earlier.... :|

A MOD's Enemy
Registered User
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:30 am
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by A MOD's Enemy » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:44 am

wGEric wrote:
A MOD's Enemy wrote:If that is the case, then two questions:

Will you deny mods with "EasyMOD 0.1.13 Compatible" in them?
Yes
How come I found 2 MODs in the database with EMC in them (other than Country Flags and SpellingCow)?
We sometimes let things by . . .
All right, I think that is simply outrageous. Outrageous and not that well planned out. EasyMOD can definitely install EMC MODs, but if there is no such thing as EMC MODs because EMC standards haven't been created yet, then how can you be so sure that EasyMOD can definitely install EMC MODs?

Also, if 2 members of the MOD Team have different views about whether writing "premature" EasyMOD Compliance is okay, apparantly contacts were not well distinguished...

And why is stating that a MOD is simply compatible with EasyMOD not allowed? Saying that it is compatible with EasyMOD simply means it can be installed with EasyMOD. Saying that it is compliant with EasyMOD means that it will always work with EasyMOD and is built according to certain standards. And, apparantly, if there are no compliant standards, than no MOD can be compliant, it can simply be compatible.

And, if for some reason stating that a MOD is EasyMOD compatible is not allowed, yet you can let authors get away with it, that simply is not professional and represents a very premature set of policies.

Here is my spin on it:
If there are no official standards for EasyMOD compliance, then no MOD should be considered officially EasyMOD compliant, and if it is okay for MODs that follow the pre-approved EMC standards to be considered EasyMOD Compliant, then all MOD authors which follow the pre-approved EMC standards should have the right to call themselves EMC.

Also, if authors are allowed to state that their MOD is EasyMOD compatible in their author's notes, then it shouldn't be able to hurt to add one simple line to the MOD which lets EasyMOD show that a MOD is compatible (especially considering that the badge that would appear only says EasyMOD Compatible, not EasyMOD Compliant, as of 0.1.13 Beta 1). This is only plain common sense. And, if it is not okay (for some weird reason) to allow something saying "EasyMOD Compatible" to make EasyMOD recognize that fact, then the MOD Team should not allow some MOD authors to do this and some MOD authors not to.

Also, if phpBB's MOD Team is planning to have these EMC standards approved in the hopefully near future, they had better get together a way to officially deem MODs to be EasyMOD Compliant.

User avatar
GPHemsley
Registered User
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Long Beach, NY
Contact:

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by GPHemsley » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:36 am

A MOD's Enemy wrote:Also, if 2 members of the MOD Team have different views about whether writing "premature" EasyMOD Compliance is okay, apparantly contacts were not well distinguished...
/me points to his rank

A MOD's Enemy
Registered User
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:30 am
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by A MOD's Enemy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:08 am

Hmmm. No replies. Is something wrong with my super-large post (see earlier this page)?

safeTsurfa
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:44 pm
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by safeTsurfa » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:23 am

GPHemsley wrote:- Putting "EasyMOD Compatible" at the top is the pretty much the same as saying that it's "installable with EasyMOD" in the Author Notes.
I disagree, to me they are not the same thing at all. Having it at the top along with the other MOD identifying data such as version, author, etc, means the author is claiming it has achieved an official standard. Having a line under author notes declaring that it works with EM , simply means the author is saying "EM can install this" without it necessarily achieving a proper standard of compliance.
safeTsurfa

User avatar
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Registered User
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:23 pm

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:40 am

Exactly. Since there is no final standard, you can't say for sure that you adhere to it.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

safeTsurfa
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:44 pm
Location: U.K.
Contact:

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by safeTsurfa » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:42 am

A MOD's Enemy wrote:All right, I think that is simply outrageous. Outrageous and not that well planned out. EasyMOD can definitely install EMC MODs, but if there is no such thing as EMC MODs because EMC standards haven't been created yet, then how can you be so sure that EasyMOD can definitely install EMC MODs?
EasyMOD will be able to install EMC compliant MODs because the installation protocol of EasyMOD itself will provide the basis for the compliance standards against which the MODs are tested.
A MOD's Enemy wrote:Also, if 2 members of the MOD Team have different views about whether writing "premature" EasyMOD Compliance is okay, apparantly contacts were not well distinguished...
There is is nothing to disagree about. If you review the current MOD Template, that is the official standard against which MOD compliance is checked.

It clearly sets out what is permitted for inclusion in the top sections, and EMC, "EasyMOD Compliant/compatible" or similar is not included in the "allowed" list. For that reason a MOD would be rejected, whereas it could be mentioned in the Author's Notes, as they are precisely that - notes by the author offering up a little more general information.
A MOD's Enemy wrote:And why is stating that a MOD is simply compatible with EasyMOD not allowed? Saying that it is compatible with EasyMOD simply means it can be installed with EasyMOD. Saying that it is compliant with EasyMOD means that it will always work with EasyMOD and is built according to certain standards. And, apparantly, if there are no compliant standards, than no MOD can be compliant, it can simply be compatible.

And, if for some reason stating that a MOD is EasyMOD compatible is not allowed, yet you can let authors get away with it, that simply is not professional and represents a very premature set of policies.

Here is my spin on it:
If there are no official standards for EasyMOD compliance, then no MOD should be considered officially EasyMOD compliant, and if it is okay for MODs that follow the pre-approved EMC standards to be considered EasyMOD Compliant, then all MOD authors which follow the pre-approved EMC standards should have the right to call themselves EMC.

Also, if authors are allowed to state that their MOD is EasyMOD compatible in their author's notes, then it shouldn't be able to hurt to add one simple line to the MOD which lets EasyMOD show that a MOD is compatible (especially considering that the badge that would appear only says EasyMOD Compatible, not EasyMOD Compliant, as of 0.1.13 Beta 1). This is only plain common sense. And, if it is not okay (for some weird reason) to allow something saying "EasyMOD Compatible" to make EasyMOD recognize that fact, then the MOD Team should not allow some MOD authors to do this and some MOD authors not to.

Also, if phpBB's MOD Team is planning to have these EMC standards approved in the hopefully near future, they had better get together a way to officially deem MODs to be EasyMOD Compliant.
Please see my response above concerning the current compliance standards, the permitted content and order of the MOD Template, and wGEric's response concerning this, As he is MOD Validation Leader, I think we may take wGEric's assertion that such would be rejected, as the official line for the present.
safeTsurfa

A MOD's Enemy
Registered User
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:30 am
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by A MOD's Enemy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:52 am

wGERic is the validation leader? I thought Nuttzy was...

User avatar
Graham
Registered User
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: UK

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by Graham » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:17 am

wGERic is in charge of validation, Nuttzy is in charge or the MOD Team as a whole (ie is wGERic's boss ;) ). And so far he is the only one to make any comment on this, no one else who has commented is on the team.

As for EMC, the standards do not officially exist yet, and that line is not part of the approved MOD Template, so anything which includes it can be denied. See the checklists which have been posted in the MOD Authors Support Forum for the criteria against which MODs are checked.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

wGEric
Registered User
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:07 am
Contact:

Re: START HERE - EasyMOD Compliance Standards

Post by wGEric » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:17 pm

From my understanding, EMC is going to be handed out by the MOD Team. Its much easier to not allow anyone to have it then it is to make everyone remove it because we haven't put the stamp on it.
A MOD's Enemy wrote:And, if for some reason stating that a MOD is EasyMOD compatible is not allowed, yet you can let authors get away with it, that simply is not professional and represents a very premature set of policies.
The only authors we let do this are respected greatly by us. MOD Team members are the only ones that I can think of that we have let this by right now.
Also, if phpBB's MOD Team is planning to have these EMC standards approved in the hopefully near future, they had better get together a way to officially deem MODs to be EasyMOD Compliant.
Nuttzy is the only one writing them. These standards won't be required for any MODs in the MOD Database but will be extra if you want the EMC stamp. If not, then you don't have to worry about following them.
Eric

Locked