List of EM Compliant Mods

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
leejay

List of EM Compliant Mods

Post by leejay »

I did a search but I can't even get easymod to show up in it. Is there a place to find easymod compliant mods?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: List of EM Compliant Mods

Post by Kevin Clark »

There isn't one.
You just have to try the MOD and see if it shows up.

Remember the install file always has to be in the admon/mods/modname folder for it to show. If it's one folder deeper than that it won't.

leejay

Post by leejay »

Kevin Clark wrote: There isn't one.
You just have to try the MOD and see if it shows up.

Remember the install file always has to be in the admon/mods/modname folder for it to show. If it's one folder deeper than that it won't.
Mine look like admin/mods/easymod/what I'm trying to install. It has to be before the other mods? In other words it has to be the first file each time in the mods folder?

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

First you install easyMOD by going to yoursite.com/forum/admin/mods/easymod/easymod_install.php

Then you upload the MODs to admin/mods/modname

They should show up when you choose EM in the admin panel.

leejay

Post by leejay »

Easymod is installed. The last one did show up but failed on installing one part. I guess I'll keep trying until something works. There shouldn't be any other mods getting int he way since easymod is the only other one.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

The thing you have to remember is that EM isn't the be all and end all of installing MODs. You can't always just drop it into EM and expect it to just work. Even if it's the first MOD you're installing, if the MOD is old, for instance, the core code might have changed since it was written so EM might have a job installing it.

Good though it is, EM is quite 'dumb' in that it does exactly what it's told. It will only look for the exact line it's asked for. If it's different, even by one character, then the find will fail. However, it's often not too difficult to do the missed changes by hand. You can preview the edits EM is going to do and see if anything is going to fail. Then, if you choose, let EM do all the edits it can and then just do the rest yourself. The one in your other thread is probably easy enough. It's simply looking for the reference to the forum logo (presumably to add something after it). So, rather than finding the whole line, look yourself for something a bit more specific (in that example, search for logo_phpBB.gif) and you'll find the bit of code it's after.

leejay

Post by leejay »

Since I have not been able to get it to work yet I did not realize I could do part of it and let it do the rest. It said it failed and I thought that was it, done.

I'm not expecting it to be the be all and end all of installing mods. I said I would just keep trying. If it doesn't work then tht's fine.

Thanks, I will try what you suggested.

leejay

Post by leejay »

I found the code for it, where it needs to be replaced in overall header but I don't see anything in the easymod admin that will tell it to continue. It just says it failed and gives me an option to report it and FAQ (which I read earlier)

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

Depends whether it considers it to be a big enough error.

If it is, it won't let you carry on. If it isn't, it will.

One other option is to copy the code it should be looking for into the install instructions to replace the code it's trying to look for. It should find the right bit then.

VBDesign

Post by VBDesign »

^^^^
Nod... What I've found helpful is to comment the search string in the instal file and then copy the commented line into the target file in the location where it should go. This also serves to refresh my ever more volitile memory when I'm trying to figure out "WTF happened here?!" later.