List of PHP mods that work with easy mod

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
AmericanFalconer

List of PHP mods that work with easy mod

Post by AmericanFalconer »

I love easy mod but I aboiut lost my whole board as I tried to edit files due to it not compatable iwth easy mod.. Is there a list that shows all the mods that work with easy mod. If I missed i am sorry. I hope htere is one out there

thanks

Nightrider

Re: List of PHP mods that work with easy mod

Post by Nightrider »

Almost all of the MODs in the phpBB MOD database will install using EM. The problem is that each MOD was designed for a specific unmodified phpBB version, which may or may not be the version that you are currently running on your site. So it is important for you to learn some easy tricks to resolving MOD conflicts so that you can get the MODs correctly installed on your board. I would be happy to help you learn those tricks over in the Installing MODs with EasyMOD forum...

As far as losing your board after installing a MOD, did you know that EM creates backups of all the modified files when you use it to install a MOD? You should never have to start over when a rogue MOD hoses your board. You would simply Restore the EM Backups and all would be back to normal...

Also, it would be best for you to create a Test board which is identical to your Live board. That way, you can work out any MOD installation problems on your Test board and never disrupt your Live community. If a MOD install goes badly on the Test board, your stress level would be much lower while trying to restore the Test board back to it's former working state. That could definitely be a benefit for your blood pressure...

Creating Test phpBB Board

I can give you enough to get started.
  1. The first thing you want to do is download all of your board files and folders to your PC.
  2. Next, create a folder on your server called Test...
  3. Upload all of the board files and folders that you just downloaded to your PC back to your new Test folder...
  4. Create a new Test database
  5. Open the Test config.php file in your favorite editor and modify the dbname, dbuser, and dbpasswd settings to match your new Test Database
  6. Create a database backup of your Live board database from your ACP...
  7. Restore your new database backup back to your new Test database. This will probably take a long time. You will probably need some help with this step unless you are very familiar with phpMyAdmin...
  8. Modify phpbb_config table settings in your Test database that contain a full or partial board path to match the URL path on your new board
Your new Test board should be good to go at this point. My instructions above may take some time to accomplish, but it is worth it to have a Test board available to test install new MODs that you want to install on your Live board.

Restoring EM Backups

If a MOD that you installed with EM hosed your board or you decide that you just don't want it, simply go into EM History in your ACP MOD Center and click on the Details button next to the MOD entry..

On the bottom of the next page, select Restore Backups and press the Go button. Make sure you DON'T select the Remove Record option or you will be forced to manually rolll back the EM backups that were created for you. I will have to walk you through that if need be...

Next you will see a page to confirm eht operation. You would choose Yes:

MODs can only be uninstalled in reverse order that they were installed: FILO (First In, Last Out). So if you installed a MOD, then several others, then decided to remove the first one, you would have to Restore the backups of the other MODs before you could Restore the backups on the first MOD...

Restoring EM Backups (Manual Instructions)

Download the backups folder that EM created for you in the MOD sub-folder found in admin/mods. Strip the .txt extension from each file in every folder in the backups folder. So the resulting file extensions will be php, tpl, css, and cfg. Upload the files back to their proper locations on your board; i.e.
  • copy backups/admin/*.* to phpBB/admin/*.*
  • copy backups/includes/*.* to phpBB/includes/*.*
  • copy backups/language/lang_english/*.* to phpBB/language/lang_english/*.*
  • copy backups/templates/subSilver/*.* to phpBB/templates/subSilver/*.*
  • copy backups/*.* to phpBB/*.*
Of course if you have alternate templates and language folders, you will need to copy the files for them as well. I'm referring to phpBB as your forum's root folder in the above copy commands. If your root folder has any other name, just substitute phpBB with the name of your forum's root folder name...

AmericanFalconer

Post by AmericanFalconer »

thank you for the great reply.. a question for you. why do I do this step# Create a database backup of your Live board database from your ACP...
"# Restore your new database backup back to your new Test database. This will probably take a long time. You will probably need some help with this step unless you are very familiar with phpMyAdmin..."

I am not familular with phpadmin.. so is this test server out of the question?

thanks again for your help

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Your Test phpBB board will need a Test database as well. You may be able to use phpMyAdmin to copy the data and structure from your Live database to the new Test database, so the backups may not be necessary...

The idea is to make your Test board as identical to your Live board as possible so that MOD installs will work exactly the same in both environments. Once you get the MOD to install cleanly and easily into your Test board, you can be assured that the same will be true on your Live board...

When you get to the point where you are ready to create and populate your Test database, I would be happy to help you through the process...