Hello, a quick question and also...

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
Spectral Dragon

Hello, a quick question and also...

Post by Spectral Dragon »

Hello All,

I have had a Php board for a while now, and have just come to the site seeing this very nice EZmod feature :D However I am going to delete my board soon for the fact that the service I have for it sucks, and I have found a new service that is much better :) (I am going to put another board up because I am unhappy with what I have done with the old one) So this brought me to the following, for which I can't seem to find an answer for in the site or board;

I have a few quick questions for anyone who can answer them:
1) Will EZmod install itself if you unzip the downloaded (But not uploaded to site) Board, place EZmod as usual, Zip the whole thing, then upload via FTP so that everything unzips?
2) As with the question in above, can you unzip, place, and then zip up again so that EZmod then installs itself, and then installs the mods to the brand new board?

-SP

Ptirhiik_

Re: Hello, a quick question and also...

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

No for the both. EasyMOD comes with a process of installation which ease it, but you will have to follow the instruction and run a script in order to achieve it (read the explanation on the dedicated topic).

Anyway, I strongly advice to prepare your board on a local environnement (check this article about installing one), and to upload the result of your modifications to the remote environement : doing like this, you will be able to install and test, trash if not satisfying, any mod you want without never stop your running board.

Spectral Dragon

Hello Ptifhiik

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering if you know if the versions coming out in the future will have EZ mod built in?

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

This has been evoked, but not in an definitive and affirmative way. BTW, they are many critical issues installing a mod on a live environement (whatever the tools or the skills), and having as active dungle a tool as easymod in its today functionalities would encourage IMHO to screw the board too easely : a mod is not a patch or (for the great number of them) a plug-ins.

Spectral Dragon

Ahh I see, I will keep this in mind and test these things out first.

Does the above work with styles though (unzipping and placing then zipping back up to put on web?) I am hoping so.

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Why do you want absolutly zip stuff when uploading ? Just upload it unzipped.

Spectral Dragon

Using web FTP I can zipp whole site up, directories and all, and then it will unzip it for me. Uploading file by file took me 5 hours which I did not like
:| :( not at all. Hurt my fingers after a while :lol: My head too ;)

Spectral Dragon

Sorry to double post didn't see an edit button, I figure it out thanks Ptirhiick