Community Dev: Conflict Resolver

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
Nuttzy99

Community Dev: Conflict Resolver

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Sometimes when installing MODs the line in a file that EM needs to locate cannot be found. Most likely this is from some previous MOD installation that is causing a conflict. One thing I would like to is write a conflict resolver where the user can try to manually correct the problem if they desire. However I won't have the time to include this feature in version 1.0 so if someone else wants to do it, that would be great!

The assignment:
There are several different ways this could be done. The basic task is to allow the user to view some of the code in the file, select the correct line, and the line as it should properly appear. The most important thing be the the UI be intuitive, warn the user of the inherent danger of editing files, and try to keep the complexity to a minimum. phpBB 2.2 has does have some file editing features that you may want to mirror. Don't worry about the actual file i/o associated with writing the file, I will handle that. Just worry about how the user will pick the line and make the edit. I will take it from there.

I would have to say that this would be a job for a single developer. Discussion on how to implement should probably take place before someone actually attempts it. I do understand that there is a risk that a user could screw up their board so no need to debate this. The user will be sufficiently warned and if they decide to pull the trigger, then that's their decision.

Good luck!
-Nuttzy :cool:
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
My Other Site

GPHemsley

Re: Community Dev: Conflict Resolver

Post by GPHemsley »

I haven't looked at the existing EasyMOD code yet, or even fully thought this out. (I don't even know if I'm gonna do it. :P) I'm just brainstorming.

fopen() in mode r+
fseek() using where EM left off -> EOF, displayed in a text box.
*Alternate to EOF: use the next FIND command to locate where to stop?
MOD direction above text box
User finds the correct line, and then copies from the MOD direction (in a read-only text box?), makes the needed changes, and hits submit to continue auto-MODding.

Page is layed out as follows:
HEADER
WARNING
ACTION
FILE CODE
BUTTONS
FOOTER

Well, that's for brainstorming... Let me know if you need anything clarified or have any suggestions or comments or whatever. :mrgreen:

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Any comments?

-None-

Post by -None- »

GPHemsley wrote:Any comments?
from my small knolage of php I don't know about the php ftp commands but i't sounds like a good idea to me.

Maby (just thinking) you could have to read only text boxes one with what the line of the mod script that caused the error and one like you thought up so the user could look at what was wanted highlight the new bit of code for the find and then hit change??

I don't know if that even makes sence but Thats what it sounded like needed to happen... maby?
this is My sig so Live with IT!!

iliasch

Post by iliasch »

Hi all. I've been very busy at work for some time so you haven't heard of me.
I'd like comment on this though, if Nuttzy doesn't mind.

User interactivity is not a bad idea, but in this case it will determine the outcome of the process. What if the users makes a bad choice and then flies to the support forum saying whatever story imaginable? I think it's too much to expect from newbies.

Furthermore, if the script fails with all Find Actions in the file, so you don't know what to start or end, will you present the user with the whole file? I would just hit 'back' if I were him.

EM needs a 'Conflict Resolver', but it should not be based on user's response.

My approach (in the unreleased Qmod) is to spend a lot more CPU time trying to find the best match possible. Then I can safely tell the user: "Here's what I wanted, here's the best match I could find. Do you want to continue?"

The real story is how to consider a line as X% match. This is where my point system kicks in and I'm ready to share with you if you're interested. It has not failed in any of the beta tests, yet.