EM change needed: lang_faq and lang_bbcode

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
Ptirhiik

Re: EM change needed: lang_faq and lang_bbcode

Post by Ptirhiik »

By my side, I have decided to base in the future all on the ?> , as for .cfg. This will be at least the more reliable spot, although it will came after the end comment.

Nuttzy99

Post by Nuttzy99 »

AlleyKat wrote:Couldn't you please consider a workaround for the (the comma) issue? Thanks.
Absolutely not! First of all I ask you to look in the Spanish or many other lang files where this comment exists. Don't do it b/c it is a wild goose chase b/c this line does not appear in those files. The point of EMC is getting Authors to write smarter MODs. The wrong thing to do is to make special exceptions, especially if the problem is not special and just Authors not paying attention to detail.

-Nuttzy :cool:

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

I agree that it conceptually isn't sound. But an endless number of mods does it this way. And the facts remain:
Of 48 lang files (not counting the included one in phpbb distribution),
no comma: 32
native: 9
comma: 4
none: 3

Instead of just discarding the problem, maybe consider exchanging the comma- and no-comma-remarks in those files for '?>' when 'running' the modscripts?
"This is the place where the sun don't shine"

Nuttzy99

Post by Nuttzy99 »

I told you, this is out of the question. It is not my responsiblity to fix their problems and I'm not going to clutter up my code with stupid things like this.

SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
My Other Site

chickeneater

Post by chickeneater »

yes, and editing the install file and adding a "," is really not hard at all

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

Nuttzy99 wrote:I told you, this is out of the question. It is not my responsiblity to fix their problems and I'm not going to clutter up my code with stupid things like this.
*shrugs* well doesn't cut no ice with me - I'd just think that as long as so many of the existing official mods aren't rewritten for this (and I really don't foresee them being so, all of them - but whatever) you'd consider a practical solution. As I read somewhere else, you aimed at getting EM to work with as many mods as possible. I'll just keep my stupid ideas to myself & spend my time on something better. Oh, and congratulations, you're learning from GPH. :x
chickeneater wrote:yes, and editing the install file and adding a "," is really not hard at all
So you're saying that webmasters maintaining multiple language files should know what it says in every single one of'em. Seemed to me it would be awfully easy to take this into account in EM, but I guess not. Well, that'll teach the n00bs to RTFM, having to learn the emc standard to get mods working.
"This is the place where the sun don't shine"

-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

AlleyKat wrote:I'd just think that as long as so many of the existing official mods aren't rewritten for this (and I really don't foresee them being so, all of them - but whatever) you'd consider a practical solution.
Nuttzy99 wrote:Introduction:
EasyMOD is an automatic MOD installer (...) EM will install EasyMOD Compliant (EMC) MODs and also *try* to install all other MODs as well.
But EM can't support particular cases as they are an infinite number of particular cases. If he add some special code for this one, he may add hundred of specific code lines for hundred of other particular cases and that's not the aim to make the code more heavy.
EM functionalities are and will be design for general and safe cases.

P.S. : but notice too that even if some MOD are written like that, nobody can say that regardless EM these instructions are valid (even for a manual installation)!
If you strictly apply them, you will NOT be able to install you MOD, even manually, on a Spanish language file for example (and the phpBB group never ask not to translate comments in language files!).
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=41
Eternal newbie

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

-=ET=- wrote:[(../..)and the phpBB group never ask not to translate comments in language files!(../..)
[/quote]Wrong. In order to be validated, a mod has to be entirely, comments included, in english. Ask J.Abelha about this point.

-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

That's not the question.
We're not talking about MODs comments, we're talking about comments in phpBB translation files.

So I don't know what John may or may not have said one day about MOD comments but what is sure is that about how to make a translation for phpBB I've never read anything like that and the official instructions do not ask anywhere to keep comments in English.
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=41

On the other hand comments are already translated on several translations accepted by the phpBB group and on the official download page on phpBB.com, so...

That is facts.
Eternal newbie

Nuttzy99

Post by Nuttzy99 »

AlleyKat wrote:
Nuttzy99 wrote:I told you, this is out of the question. It is not my responsiblity to fix their problems and I'm not going to clutter up my code with stupid things like this.
*shrugs* well doesn't cut no ice with me - I'd just think that as long as so many of the existing official mods aren't rewritten for this (and I really don't foresee them being so, all of them - but whatever) you'd consider a practical solution. As I read somewhere else, you aimed at getting EM to work with as many mods as possible. I'll just keep my stupid ideas to myself & spend my time on something better. Oh, and congratulations, you're learning from GPH. :x
That Authors would not update their MODs is stupid. I am not saying you are not stupid. I was short with you b/c you were making me answer your question a second time.

As ET said there are infinite cases where this occurs. If a MOD cannot even be installed manually (which is the case with what you are suggesting) then it should not be available for download. I don't want "EasyMOD only" MODs. There is a difference between helping the community and enabling laziness.

SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
My Other Site