[AITW] File Editing

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
GPHemsley

[AITW] File Editing

Post by GPHemsley »

Welcome to the future, where phpBB 2.2 has been released and EasyMOD is in its stable stage. :D

Using the "technology" that phpBB 2.2 uses, have the option to edit any files that may error-out, so to speak, so that you can perform changes manually without having to download and then upload again. For example, say a MOD can't find a line. EasyMOD would then give an error that says "Unable to fine <code>", like it did during its Alpha release and on, except now you are then given the option to view the entire file, find the correct line, and then perform the correct action. You click "Submit", or whatever, and EasyMOD figures out what changes have been made (have fun with that one ;) ) and then continues MOD installation from there.

You would click the link below the error, say, that says "Click here to manually perform this change". That link opens up a new window with something like this:

Code: Select all

<textarea>The rest of the file, starting from where EasyMOD last performed a successful action.</textarea>
Somewhere around that textbox would be another link (that opens up in another new page) to view the entire file as text so that you can use your browser's find command to find the correct line(s) of code. You would then perform the edit, click "Submit", and continue with the installation from where you did the manual edit.

If any of that didn't make sense, it's because I was just putting my thoughts straight to text, so just let me know if I need to clarify anything. ;)

Ptirhiik

Re: [EM/2.2] File Editing

Post by Ptirhiik »

How dangerous is this ! That I will call a stupid idea : do you edit file live, without any testing ? Won't certainly say bravo :?

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Ptirhiik wrote:How dangerous is this ! That I will call a stupid idea : do you edit file live, without any testing ? Won't certainly say bravo :?
Have you downloaded any of the phpBB 2.1.x CVS snapshots? You can do this exact same thing to style/template files. And you wouldn't have access to all files, just the specific file that errors out and only starting from the place EM made its last changed.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Actually I've sat the last week dated version. And I will say the same thing for this feature, as I said for phpBB 2.0.x about the pseudo-css editing through the ACP : it is stupid, and it is very dangerous, and also a non-sense regarding all basic elementary way to proceed with a running environment. I summarize this in one word : stupid :). (not personnal, but the idea is).

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Ptirhiik wrote:Actually I've sat the last week dated version. And I will say the same thing for this feature, as I said for phpBB 2.0.x about the pseudo-css editing through the ACP : it is stupid, and it is very dangerous, and also a non-sense regarding all basic elementary way to proceed with a running environment. I summarize this in one word : stupid :). (not personnal, but the idea is).
Alrighty, I respect your opinion, as you respect mine. :D Let's just see what other people think. ;)

LLKwerv

Post by LLKwerv »

I like the idea, but I think it may be too much work to start from where you left off. Why can't you start over if the files created are 777 (or aren't they?)
hello

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Ptirhiik wrote:Actually I've sat the last week dated version. And I will say the same thing for this feature, as I said for phpBB 2.0.x about the pseudo-css editing through the ACP : it is stupid, and it is very dangerous, and also a non-sense regarding all basic elementary way to proceed with a running environment. I summarize this in one word : stupid :). (not personnal, but the idea is).
Dangerous how? There is no need to world write templates/stylesheets in 2.2 ... if they cannot be written to copies are made in the database. The ACP is hard coded, thus messing up something in the style or a template won't prevent you from getting to the ACP to correct it. And of course if you don't need to edit the theme or template ... no need to.

/me notes this applies purely to 2.2 template/theme editing and not an ability to edit source online.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Always the same thing : before setting any modification live, you have to perform an entire test : set ie an image item let's say 500k (screenshot), used ie as row1, and tell me how your bandwidth will be. Of course you can go and correct it, but doing it on a buzzy board, and doing it live, it's just an ability that shoudn't be allowed. This, as I said, is just a basic, elementary approach of managing a live environement.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

I have to agree on the test environment issue, some of the MODs are far far too powerful (and I'd also say dangerous) to just perform live-on-a-live-board.
GPHemsley wrote:That link opens up a new window with something like this:
Code:
<textarea>The rest of the file, starting from where EasyMOD last performed a successful action.</textarea>

Somewhere around that textbox would be another link (that opens up in another new page) to view the entire file as text so that you can use your browser's find command to find the correct line(s) of code. You would then perform the edit, click "Submit", and continue with the installation from where you did the manual edit.
This would be an on-line editor - I think that's pushing the current idea of EM too far. Is it even possible to check that the intended action will be performed? Because else I think you'll have thousands of users on your hands saying "I just pressed OK...". I HAVE to agree with Ptirhiik, that's kinda dangerous.

:D Oh well this is all future dreaming, isn't it... I simply can't wait for a phpbb with a hardcoded admin panel; that's imho one of the hardest things to get running smoothly when modding as it is. With 2.2 and EM this is gonna be sooooo easy...

*does the easy-living-dance*

/edit:/ GPH is that counter in your sig precise? 2 years till release?? 8O
/edit 2:/ LOL it sez 'less than'... where is that #&curren;% sourceforge link 8O

Nuttzy99

Post by Nuttzy99 »

GP, I can't believe you posted this 8O Not the content, but the timing. You'll see ;)

-Nuttzy :cool:
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
My Other Site