easymod code apparently doesn't pick up the sequence number

Wondering why that MOD you have won't install correctly? Let's take a look
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
dkgibson

easymod code apparently doesn't pick up the sequence number

Post by dkgibson »

Code: Select all

Could not obtain EasyMod information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : -1 ERROR: syntax error at or near ")" at character 109

INSERT INTO easymod_processed_files (mod_processed_file, mod_id) VALUES ('admin/admin_forumauth.php', )

Line : 3612
File : admin_easymod.php
Since the following code (just above line 3612) returned an empty or null value, the above failed

Code: Select all

// get the ID of the just installed MOD.
                        $mod_id = $db->sql_nextid();
I can work around the other problems I found, but this one is a killer without my doing a lot of research. Nice idea, but uninstalled for the time being. I'm willing to do testing of any suggested fixes.

Also, in PostgreSQL, "UPDATE TABLE name" is incorrect syntax (includes/sql/sql_builder_postgresql.php). Fixed (ditch "TABLE").

ps: The size of mod_processed_themes [character varying(200)] in table easymod is too small for the number of themes I have installed (about 30). Fixed (500).
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-- unknown ( http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke )

RyosukeZ

Re: easymod code apparently doesn't pick up the sequence number

Post by RyosukeZ »

lool.. you're using postresql? grr.. that sql really sucks. XD
Bored? Come and have fun at my forum!!
Lets rock the hse!!

dkgibson

Post by dkgibson »

RyosukeZ wrote: l... postresql? grr.. that sql really sucks.

Why? Because some people don't know how to install or administer a genuine database?

When I made the decision between PostgreSQL and MySQL, the latter lacked views and subselects, marking it as a toy database without ESSENTIAL features (and this was version 4.x). Ok, they've now (version 5) added those two features (that should have been there from the beginning), but who knows what else is missing? I'd rather have a DB that was DESIGNED to be a DB, rather than was designed to be an SQL front-end to a file system.

And as for people that can't figure out how to use it, and instead go around posting unhelpful snide comments for people seeking a genuine fix to an unrelated issue, well, their comments speak to their own maturity.

It's clear that EasyMod was never tested with PostgreSQL, as the "UPDATE TABLE" code shows.
Last edited by dkgibson on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dkgibson

And here's the code fix:

Post by dkgibson »

easymod_install.php: lines 940 & 943: change _mod_id_seq to _id_seq

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Please report the BUGs to our EM BugTracker:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=br ... tid=737391

Thank you :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

dkgibson

Post by dkgibson »

3Di wrote: Please report the BUGs to our EM BugTracker

Done!

You know, when you ask someone to do a favor (like reporting a FIX for a bug), and you provide them a link, it would be nice to not instantly be bombarded with FLASHING ads. I immediately killed my browser, and almost came back here and told you to submit the report yourself; I'm not going to watch flashing ads (which are one of the great POXES on the Internet).

However, I then fired up a browser that has animated images disabled and doesn't have Flash installed, and was able to complete the bug report without further annoyances. And then, what do I find? The bug and fix was reported EIGHT MONTHS ago!!! What's the use of reporting bug FIXES if no one uses them? I can understand bug reports for which someone has to do some work, but both I and the previous party reported a FIX as well!!! And it's not like the fixes can affect other areas of the product; these are PostgreSQL-specific fixes that make the product WORK with PostgreSQL.

I'm not ragging on you personally; I agree that you should tell people to report bugs (especially ones with fixes), but then someone (the author) should do something with them within a reasonable time frame (especially fixes). And I understand that a popular package needs bandwidth for support, and SourceForge offers that, and you have to put up with their annoyances, like flashing ads. The only problem is, users who are reporting bug fixes DON'T have to put up with it. My guess is that EasyMod might get more assistance if users didn't have to putup with flashing ads.

For reference:

1. I have been a software developer for over 40 years, and so I think I know what I'm talking about.

2. I provide GPL software on the Internet as well, and I support it, on sites without ads, on my own dime.
Last edited by dkgibson on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

dkgibson wrote:
3Di wrote:Please report the BUGs to our EM BugTracker

Done!

Fine, thank you.
You know, when you ask someone to do a favor (like reporting a FIX for a bug), and you provide them a link, it would be nice to not instantly be bombarded with FLASHING ads. I immediately killed my browser, and almost came back here and told you to submit the report yourself; I'm not going to watch flashing ads (which are one of the great POXES on the Internet).

However, I then fired up a browser that has animated images disabled and doesn't have Flash installed, and was able to complete the bug report without further annoyances.

Fine, you know .. there is no more to say about that. It's not our fault.
And then, what do I find? The bug and fix was reported EIGHT MONTHS ago!!! What's the use of reporting bug FIXES if no one uses them? I can understand bug reports for which someone has to do some work, but both I and the previous party reported a FIX as well!!! And it's not like the fixes can affect other areas of the product; these are PostgreSQL-specific fixes that make the product WORK with PostgreSQL.

I'm not ragging on you personally; I agree that you should tell people to report bugs (especially ones with fixes), but then someone (the author) should do something with them within a reasonable time frame (especially fixes).

Perhaps those BUGs/fixes will be included into the next version, if any?
EM it is handled by a Team, the same involved in other big projects, we are posting inside one of them. :)
Being also Open Source it is some how reasonable the time this projects get in order to be updated and the such, I think.
And I understand that a popular package needs bandwidth for support, and SourceForge offers that, and you have to put up with their annoyances, like flashing ads. The only problem is, users who are reporting bug fixes DON'T have to put up with it. My guess is that EasyMod might get more assistance if users didn't have to putup with flashing ads.

As you wrote above, using a browser that allow you to stop viewing those flash animations (and pop-ups? ) it is also a good choice and the easy way to get rid of that annoyance.
For reference:

1. I have been a software developer for over 40 years, and so I think I know what I'm talking about.

2. I provide GPL software on the Internet as well, and I support it, on sites without ads, on my own dime.

Good to know.

All of this are my 2cents here, thanks for the conversation.

regards
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades