EasyMod - Will it uninstall mods too?

Wondering why that MOD you have won't install correctly? Let's take a look
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
JezUK1

EasyMod - Will it uninstall mods too?

Post by JezUK1 »

Hi I Wonder if you can put any light on to this for me? I use EasyMod to install mods. But what happens if I would like to remove a mod which I installed using EasyMod? Is there anyway of doing this? I mean how do you uninstall a mod anyway lol?

Nightrider

Re: EasyMod - Will it uninstall mods too?

Post by Nightrider »

Restoring EM Backups

If a MOD that you installed with EM hosed your board or you decide that you just don't want it, simply go into EM History in your ACP MOD Center and click on the Details button next to the MOD entry..

On the bottom of the next page, select Restore Backups and press the Go button. Make sure you DON'T select the Remove Record option or you will be forced to manually rolll back the EM backups that were created for you. I will have to walk you through that if need be...

Next you will see a page to confirm eht operation. You would choose Yes:

MODs can only be uninstalled in reverse order that they were installed: FILO (First In, Last Out). So if you installed a MOD, then several others, then decided to remove the first one, you would have to Restore the backups of the other MODs before you could Restore the backups on the first MOD...

Restoring EM Backups (Manual Instructions)

Download the backups folder that EM created for you in the MOD sub-folder found in admin/mods. Strip the .txt extension from each file in every folder in the backups folder. So the resulting file extensions will be php, tpl, css, and cfg. Upload the files back to their proper locations on your board; i.e.
  • copy backups/admin/*.* to phpBB/admin/*.*
  • copy backups/includes/*.* to phpBB/includes/*.*
  • copy backups/language/lang_english/*.* to phpBB/language/lang_english/*.*
  • copy backups/templates/subSilver/*.* to phpBB/templates/subSilver/*.*
  • copy backups/*.* to phpBB/*.*
Of course if you have alternate templates and language folders, you will need to copy the files for them as well. I'm referring to phpBB as your forum's root folder in the above copy commands. If your root folder has any other name, just substitute phpBB with the name of your forum's root folder name...

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 »

Hi mate, When I clikc on details I can only see Back to history and Delete MOD Record What does this mean then? Im I stuffed?

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 »

In fact looking at other mods some of them let me restore and some dont...Im lost can you advice please?
Oh also what would happen if I went on to Delete Mod anyway?

You also said:
MODs can only be uninstalled in reverse order that they were installed: FILO (First In, Last Out).
So why is that? Why cant you just clikc on Details and just do it that way and not do most of then?

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

When you Restore EM Backups, you have to do it in reverse order of how they were installed because the physical files are stored before they were modified. After installing a MOD, the files are now modified from original. So the files in the next MOD's backups folder will look different from the files in the first MOD's backup folder. So if you Restored MOD Backups in any way other than reverse order, you could be breaking the MODs that you installed after the backups files were created...

For that reason, EM will only display the Restore Backups option for the last MOD installed. AFter Restoring its Backups, EM will now display the Restore Backups option for the next to last MOD installed so that there is no way that you can accidentally break all the other MODs installed...

Now if you can write an uninstall MOD script for a particular MOD, you can run it using EM and skip uninstalling all the other MODs first...

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 »

Ok I think I under stand. At the moment I would like to remove the mod The humanizer
This is how my installs look like so far on my forum room.

So to do this I will have to restore the back ups from the top down yes? If that is right how do I get my mods I had to restore bk onto my forum after I have removed the humanizer?

Would I have to just download the mod from the site and install it like I did the first time found?

JezUK1

Post by JezUK1 »

Is that right?

Poomerio

Post by Poomerio »

JezUK1, you will have to uninstall all MODs up to The Humanizer, and then re-install them, if you want their functionality.
Just keep in mind that uninstalling a MOD that edited the database does NOT undo the database alterations it made.

- Poomie