Nightrider

Wondering why that MOD you have won't install correctly? Let's take a look
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
fudgonaut

Nightrider

Post by fudgonaut »

I saw your post from the phpBB2 forum. I didn't mean to harsh on you, it's just that I feel that since Ptirhiik is not getting paid for his work, he is under no legal obligation to guartantee his that his mod has to work with easyMOD. As someone who is in the software industry, I empathize with the fact that he has finite time and resources, and can't satisfy all of the people all of the time. Anyways, to summarize my problem:

I was unable to install the latest version of easyMOD (0.3.0). But I went back to v0.2.1a and it installed perfectly. I've tried several times to install Topic Calendar and it has failed. I tried your 6-line-fix from the other forum but I encounter the same issue...the Calendar install seems to perform fine with easyMOD (on a pristine install of phpBB2 2.0.21).

I deleted the install_cal folder as instructed, but when I access the forum, I still get the following error when I click on the Calendar icon:
Failed obtaining forum access control lists

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'a.auth_cal' in 'field list'

SELECT a.forum_id, a.auth_view, a.auth_read, a.auth_post, a.auth_reply, a.auth_edit, a.auth_cal, a.auth_delete, a.auth_sticky, a.auth_announce, a.auth_vote, a.auth_pollcreate, a.auth_mod FROM phpbb_auth_access a, phpbb_user_group ug WHERE ug.user_id = 3 AND ug.user_pending = 0 AND a.group_id = ug.group_id

Line : 174
File : auth.php

Do I need to add a dbase to mySQL? I am totally out of my league here.

Nightrider

Re: Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

According to Ptirhiik, you don't want to delete the install_cal folder. That includes the files that update your database, which is clearly not being done now. So you should upload that folder and it's contents back and see what happens. I haven't installed this MOD yet but will be soon since I am helping someone else who is also having trouble with that MOD. It seems like I have to help more people with Ptirhiik's MODs than anyone else's...

The logic flaw that Ptirhiik has is that he feels like he is setting the standards and everyone should comply with him. But it is clearly stated that his MODs MUST install correctly using EM. The fact that it doesn't means that there is something wrong with his MOD script. The MOD script can be easily corrected, but Ptirhiik has no desire to do so because it allows him the chance to unnecessarily trash EM. On your Best day, you can hope to manually install the MOD EXACTLY how EM does it on any given day. EM doesn't make human errors, so it doesn't make sense not to use it as Ptirhiik would suggest...

Ptirhiik fought EM's creator from the beginning, and now Nutzzy is no longer participating here or in phpBB.com. I don't blame Nutzzy for walking away with people like Ptirhiik calling the shots even when he's clearly wrong. Phpbb.com can be a very hostile environment. Hopefully we can continue to avoid that here in Area 51...

I don't get paid for what I do either. Ptirhiik isn't special. Everyone here and in phpBB.com volunteer their time and effort to help make phpBB what it is today. Ptirhiik writes huge MODs, but they cause a lot of problems for a lot of people. Look at his Topics. They are all over 200 pages long. There is something terribly wrong when that happens consistently for one MOD author...

If you want to update to EM 0.3.0, I can help you through that too...

fudgonaut

Post by fudgonaut »

When I install Topic Calendar using EM, and I don't delete the install_cal folder, I get the following error when I try to log into my site:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@fudgonaut.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

If I go into CPanel and delete the install_cal folder, Once I enter my forum I can see the Calendar icon at the top, but when I click on it, I get the following error:
Failed obtaining forum access control lists

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'a.auth_cal' in 'field list'

SELECT a.forum_id, a.auth_view, a.auth_read, a.auth_post, a.auth_reply, a.auth_edit, a.auth_cal, a.auth_delete, a.auth_sticky, a.auth_announce, a.auth_vote, a.auth_pollcreate, a.auth_mod FROM phpbb_auth_access a, phpbb_user_group ug WHERE ug.user_id = 2 AND ug.user_pending = 0 AND a.group_id = ug.group_id

Line : 174
File : auth.php

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Usually the Internal Server Error is caused by a folder permissions problem, often times the parent to the phpBB folder. So check your file and folder permissions to make sure they are all set correctly. Who is your host???

CHMOD Permissions

Do you have the permissions of the folders set to 755 and the files set to 644? On most boards, the folder permissions must be set to 755 and the file permissions to 644. However on some, such as Awardspace and Lycos, the folder and file permissions MUST BE set to 755. Check some of your other non-EM file and folder permissions to determine what works on your site...

You can probably find instructions on how to do that at the site that provides your FTP application. I'm sure it varies from application to application...

I use SmartFTP. All you need to do is click on a folder or file in the right hand viewer and choose Properties/CHMOD or Alt+Enter

Then you can either enter the value, like 755 or 644, or you can click on the read, write, execute options, which do the same thing...

fudgonaut

Post by fudgonaut »

Success! The EasyMOD and Topic Calendar files were all set to 644. So I reinstalled the phpbb2 from scratch, changed all MOD permissions to 755, then ran the MODs. I did have to remove the install_cal folder, but once I did, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks Nightrider! :mrgreen:

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Does your host require that your file permissions be set to 755 too? If so, you might need to install a modified version of EM that I created for sites like Awardspace and Lycos where file permissions MUST BE set to 755 rather than th 644 that is standard on most sites. Who is your host???

Congratulations on the two successes fudgonaut!!!

fudgonaut

Post by fudgonaut »

My host is http://ace-host.net/" target="_blank and from what I gather, all folders and files must be set to 755.

I wish I had found out about the modified EM earlier - it might have saved me a lot of time manually changing those permissions ;) but it's all good now, everything seems to be functioning and I am now configuring my board to my heart's content :D

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Ok, if your host requires your file permissions to be set to 755, you will probably have to install the following Awardspace version that I modified which sets file permissions to 755 rather than the default 644. I called it the Awardspace EM version because Awardspace was the first host I saw that required file permissions set to 644. Now I know of a couple of other hosts who do the same, so don't let the file name that I chose fool you...

Before you can install this, you will need to decrease the EM version to anything less than 0.3.0; i.e. 0.2.9, 0.2.1, or 0.1.13 will all work. Since you currently have EM installed and can get into EM Settings, you can decrease the EM version at the bottom of the EM Settings page...

Awardspace Instructions w/Download

You can download this EM version that I have modified to work on Awardspace sites. The file can be found in the downloads/phpBB/EasyMod section at the top of the page. Make sure that all uploaded file permissions are set to 755:

easymod_awardspace.zip

Here are the instructions for modifying your EM installation files if you choose to do it yourself rather than use the modified EM version that I supplied above:

Awardspace Modifications

Your board requires script file permissions to be set to 755 instead of 644 like most other boards. So even if EM installs correctly, the EM file permissions would be set to 644...

Unfortunately for sites like your's, EM sets the file permissions to 644 when it modifies them. So go into the following files to set all matches of 0644 to 0755 before you install EM:
  1. easymod/em_includes/em_modio.php
  2. easymod/em_includes/em_ftp.php
Also, modify the check_file_scope function in your easymod/includes/admin_easymod.php.txt file by copying and pasting the code:

OPEN
easymod/includes/admin_easymod.php.txt

FIND

Code: Select all

if( !@file_exists(phpbb_realpath($filename)) || !strstr(phpbb_realpath($filename), phpbb_realpath($expected_scope)) )
REPLACE WITH

//if( !@file_exists(phpbb_realpath($filename)) || !strstr(phpbb_realpath($filename), phpbb_realpath($expected_scope)) )
	if( !@file_exists(phpbb_realpath($filename)) )
The check_file_scope function should now look like this:

function check_file_scope($filename, $expected_scope, $simply_die = false)
{
	global $db, $lang;

// make sure a file is located somewhere inside the specified directory
	//if( !@file_exists(phpbb_realpath($filename)) || !strstr(phpbb_realpath($filename), phpbb_realpath($expected_scope)) )
	if( !@file_exists(phpbb_realpath($filename)) )
	{
		$message = sprintf($lang['EM_modio_open_read'], $filename);
		if( $simply_die )
		{
			$db->sql_close();
			die($message);
		}
		message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, $message);
	}
}
Save all the modified files and upload them to their proper sub-folders in the admin/mods/easymod folder. Then go ahead and try the EM install again...

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

Nightrider wrote: The logic flaw that Ptirhiik has is that he feels like he is setting the standards and everyone should comply with him. But it is clearly stated that his MODs MUST install correctly using EM. The fact that it doesn't means that there is something wrong with his MOD script. The MOD script can be easily corrected, but Ptirhiik has no desire to do so because it allows him the chance to unnecessarily trash EM. On your Best day, you can hope to manually install the MOD EXACTLY how EM does it on any given day. EM doesn't make human errors, so it doesn't make sense not to use it as Ptirhiik would suggest...

The current standard for MOD Releases on phpBB.com is the MOD Template. This is the standard in use by easyMOD. EasyMOD is currently beta software so it may have flaws in adhering to the standard properly. If this is the case, report a bug in EasyMOD on the sourceforge bugtracker for EasyMOD.

The only human errors EasyMOD makes are the ones programmed into it by a human.
Nightrider wrote: Ptirhiik fought EM's creator from the beginning, and now Nutzzy is no longer participating here or in phpBB.com. I don't blame Nutzzy for walking away with people like Ptirhiik calling the shots even when he's clearly wrong. Phpbb.com can be a very hostile environment. Hopefully we can continue to avoid that here in Area 51...

Since when? Everybody is bound by the same standard, nuttzy included.

Nuttzy no-longer actively participates at phpBB.com. People move on, start families, start careers, or advance their level of education and find they are no-longer able to participate fully in the opensource community anymore, all the time. I however, will not speak on behalf of nuttzy.
Nightrider wrote: I don't get paid for what I do either. Ptirhiik isn't special. Everyone here and in phpBB.com volunteer their time and effort to help make phpBB what it is today. Ptirhiik writes huge MODs, but they cause a lot of problems for a lot of people. Look at his Topics. They are all over 200 pages long. There is something terribly wrong when that happens consistently for one MOD author...

Larger MODs change more due to the design of phpBB2, especially with certain features which means when combined with other MODs problems will often arrise from the unsuspecting who poorly manage the development of their community site. MODs are not guaranteed to place nice with eachother, the QoS (Quality of Service) the MOD Team checks for goes as far as manual installation on a fresh install of phpBB. Anything further should be first investigated by the person wishing to install it in a sandbox environment before moving ahead.

In the end the GPL lays ultimate responsibility on the person using the software ;)
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

smithy_dll wrote: The current standard for MOD Releases on phpBB.com is the MOD Template.

Thanks for coming here to try to clear this up smithy_dll...

So if what you are saying is true, does this statement no longer apply in the Insta-Deny™ Checklist when submitting MODs to the phpBB MOD Database or does it apply differently depending on which MOD author is submitting the MOD or Update???
Insta-Deny™ Checklist

Test with EasyMOD preview mode - we are *NOT* requiring Authors to use, install, or endorse EM. But if their MOD fails to [correctly] install with EM on a virgin phpBB install then they had better have a darn good reason why! EM will make sure the MOD obeys several MOD Template requirements beyond what the Validator looks at. EM does not add any other special requirements beyond what is listed in the Template so there are very few reasons why a MOD won't work with it. If you do find even one thing that we cannot accept, then Insta-Deny this MOD. Do no further processing on it. Do not waste our time. Deny it, stating whatever info was discovered, and clear it from the Queue!

I really don't think this statement could get much clearer. Either the Author's MOD installs correctly using EM or it does not get approved. I see no exceptions or ambiguities here in this statement...
smithy_dll wrote: This is the standard in use by easyMOD. EasyMOD is currently beta software so it may have flaws in adhering to the standard properly.

It is true that EM is still labeled as a Beta utlity, but EM is a thoroughly tested utility that has very few install Bugs. It is true that a MOD author can design his MODs so that EM cannot install them. What I find disturbing is that MOD authors like Ptirhiik are now allowed to do that especially when it is clear that they could design their MODs to install correctly using EM and that they have the skills and time to do so...

As in our recent discussion in his Topic Calendar MOD, Ptirhiik could have corrected his MOD by adding 6 lines of code and it would have installed correctly using EM. Ptirhiik is clearnly not afraid or constrained when writing code. So 6 extra lines of code, which I was happy to provide, would not be time consuming for him. Why would Ptirhiik write his MODs so that they can't be installed correctly using EM? It gives him the opportunity to inform the community why they should avoid EM. Strange. IOW, Ptirhiik is being allowed to bypass the Insta-Deny™ Checklist so that EM cannot correctly install his MOD, then he is allowed to tell the world that EM is the problem...

EM cannot change on the fly to work with every attempt to break it by MOD authors who don't approve of it. EM shouldn't have to adjust to Ptirhiik. Ptirhiik should be expected to follow the Insta-Deny™ Checklist just like everyone else. Just because he writes HUGE MODs shouldn't make him exempt...
smithy_dll wrote: The only human errors EasyMOD makes are the ones programmed into it by a human.

I know about the small number and minor bugs in EM. There aren't many. Do you know what they are? If so, I doubt that you would have made the statement above and would not be blaming EM for failing to install Ptirhiik's MODs, which are clearly and intentionally designed NOT to install correctly using EM...
smithy_dll wrote: Nuttzy no-longer actively participates at phpBB.com. People move on, start families, start careers, or advance their level of education and find they are no-longer able to participate fully in the opensource community anymore, all the time. I however, will not speak on behalf of nuttzy.

Some people leave because their lives change, others leave because they get disgusted at the adversarial environment and treatment found over in phpBB.com. If you had followed the adversarial history between Nutzzy and Ptirhiik and Ptirhiik's faithful followers, you probably can determine why Nutzzy is no longer here. Nutzzy was attempting to provide a nice utility for the phpBB environment that could make it easy for even the most unskilled to install MODs on their boards. Ptirhiik fought him every step of the way. Ptirhiik could have easily used his talents and time to help make EM the best that it could be, but instead, he chose to attack and challenge. Nutzzy provided a nice tool that has benefited thousands of admins of all skill levels. It's a shame that Ptirhiik continues to chose to try to destroy it and is being allowed to do so by the phpBB Team...
smithy_dll wrote: Larger MODs change more due to the design of phpBB2,

MODs can be written so that a total noob can install them or they can be written so that only experts can do so. Those written for Dummies have very few isntallation problems and topic discussions never grow to over 200 pages. There is a negative attitude over in phpBB.com that blames the admin when a MOD install does not go well. It can be a very discouraging environment for those who are just getting into the phpBB experience and I imagine that a large number walk away out of frustration and anger. It doesn't need to be that way and it portrays phpBB in a negative light. I am amazed at the number of people who have told me about the poisonous environment and treatment that they have encountered over in phpBB.com. Why is that a good thing and how does it promote phpBB? I really don't think that it is or does...
smithy_dll wrote: the QoS (Quality of Service) the MOD Team checks for goes as far as manual installation on a fresh install of phpBB.

So you no longer support the Insta-Deny™ Checklist specifications? That would be a shame if true. You would be doing a major disservice to thousands of happy EM users Manual installs pose far more risk than using EM. Why you would promote manual installs over the much more accuarte EM method is beyond my comprehension. If you really think that most people can do a better job installing their MODs manually than EM can do on any given day, then you really don't know anything about EM...
smithy_dll wrote: In the end the GPL lays ultimate responsibility on the person using the software ;)

It all comes down to this. MODs can be written for dummies or they can be written only for experts. If MOD authors want to make the process more difficult than is necessary, then they are not promoting phpBB but instead are telling the world to switch to something else that is a bit more user friendly. PhpBB grew in popularity because just about anyone could install and run it on their sites with very little to no understanding as to what is under the hood. It would be a shame if the phpBB.com attitude is now shifting to code more toward experts only...