Leaving MODs install directory

Wondering why that MOD you have won't install correctly? Let's take a look
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
corbya

Leaving MODs install directory

Post by corbya »

Hello,

EasyMod Rocks. I have installed a couple of MODs with EasyMod and wished I knew about before I went through the manual method before.

My question: Is it necessary to leave the MOD directory under admin\mod after the install is complete? I see there are some backup files there. Perhaps it would be better to FTP them off the site after installation, or would that break the installed MOD?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Nightrider

Re: Leaving MODs install directory

Post by Nightrider »

Corbya, you nailed it. Since EM creates the backups and processed sub-folders in each MOD folder and stores the modified files before and after the changes, then it would be best to download these back to your PC before you delete them from admin/mods. If you ever want to use EM's Restore Backups utility, you will need to upload the MOD folders containing the backups and processed folders back to admin/mods before you can restore them...

Even if the MOD install goes well, you never know if you might have to restore backups to find a strange error along the way. I once had to restore 20 MODs to track down the source of a strange problem. If I hadn't kept backups of the MOD's backups and processed folders, it would have been an extremely painful process to figure out my problem. I would have had to manually restore the code or start over from scratch. Neither is a pleasant option since I have so many MODs installed into a dozen templates...

Once you have good backups of the MOD folders from your FTP server, you can delete them from admin/mods...

corbya

Post by corbya »

Thanks again for your answer. That is exactly what I was hoping to here.

Since you brought up the issue of using the backups, I was curious. If you find a problem down the road, like in your example of 20 Mods, Do you back out one at a time, in reverse order? Or do you think it's possible to undo, say the 13th Mod when you have applied 7 more since then?

I'm hoping to keep my Mods down to the minimum needed to take care of the board. No way am I going to add mods just because they sound cool! Sounds like trouble to me.

Cheers.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

You seem to have a good understanding of this and are asking all the right questions. If you install a MOD, then 20 more, then decide that you want to remove the first MOD, you would either restore backups for the other 20 MODs in reverse order that they were installed (FILO), or you could manually remove the MOD code from the original...

I have over 800 MODs installed on my board. I don't think it will cause you any problems if you install a lot of MODs on your's too. I rarely run into any problems with my site. It's pretty low maintenance even though it is heavily modded...