Linux file and folder permissions.

Wondering why that MOD you have won't install correctly? Let's take a look
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
jerryt

Linux file and folder permissions.

Post by jerryt »

Hi.

My forum is hosted on a Linux server. I manually installed the forum, I didn't use a pre installed script from fantastico.

What I would like to know is what are the default Linux permissions for phpbb files and folders ?

I have a test forum setup on my IIS Server, when ever I add MOD's using easymod, they install fine on the test server.

Yet on the Linux server, they usually fail, due to permissions.. What permissions do I need to set on the various files and folders for it to work well with Linux ???

Nux

Re: Linux file and folder permissions.

Post by Nux »

Well for a local test server (that won't be visited by any one but you) you may change the permissions to 777 `chmod -R 777 forum_dir`...

But what I found out is that Apache runs the scripts as a user that you put in his configuration file. So what you really need to do is either change the conf files (probably commonhttpd.conf) or change the owner of the files to default (probably apache) `chown -R apache:apache`.

jerryt

Post by jerryt »

As the site is hosted, how would I do this ?
What would I need to as the Hosts to do ??

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

0.2.1 should CHMOD the files to 644 after writing them.

644 for files and 755 for folders should be fine for EasyMOD. I'd highly suggest you use FTP (which should set the username to whatever user you put for the FTP settings).
Eric

badmatty

Post by badmatty »

wGEric wrote: 0.2.1 should CHMOD the files to 644 after writing them.

644 for files and 755 for folders should be fine for EasyMOD. I'd highly suggest you use FTP (which should set the username to whatever user you put for the FTP settings).
YAYYYYYY search function does it again.

I was restoring an old site and the permissions were screwed. 644 and 755 worked a charm.

Thanks wGEric.
a very boring sig

jerryt

Post by jerryt »

Sorry for the delay in posting.. Thanks !!

I'm about to upgrade my EasyMod from beta1 (0.1.13) and will need to check the permissions !

Thanks