On Installation, Redirects toLogin Page

Having problems installing EM? Let's fix that
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
corbya

Re: On Installation, Redirects toLogin Page

Post by corbya »

Nightrider wrote: When you run into a conflict between the MOD script and your code, if you don't know how to modify the MOD script to work, you should post it here in Area 51 so that I can teach you a few simple tricks on how to do it. Once you understand the tricks, you will rarely ever have to manually apply MOD code to your phpBB files again...

Hmm....let me tell you what happened. Then perhaps you can tell me what I should have done.

Let me first say this is the first board I have ever set up (it's really the first web site that I have set up).

I wanted to create a messasge board for a Homeowner's Association that has about 3000 homeowners. The homes are located in different areas called "Villages"

The registration page has alot of fields that are irrelevent for our use. So I went into profile_add_body.tpl and by hand, commented out the all of the profile fields except "location" and "signature". I also renamed location to say "Village". That all went fine.

Then I found a MOD that can be used to make a profile entry "required". I decided that the Location field (now called "village") should be required. I used EasyMOD to install a MOD that can set fields to be required and it worked great.

Then I thought that the signature field really wasn't needed afterall. With the Profile field required, I thought it might confuse people to have another field that wasn't required.

Rather than hand edit the profile_add_body.tpl again, I found a MOD to remove the signature field. I used EasyMOD and to my shock, it removed not just the signature field but it wiped out everything after it as well!. That wasn't good, so I restored the backup of profile_add_body.tpl that EasyMOD made and hand edited out the signature field. I figured that my previous hand edits messed up the ability for the remove signature MOD to work properly.

There was probably a better way to remove the other profile stuff that I didn't want. Perhaps there's a MOD for that too. But now that I have done enough hand editing of profile_add_body.tpl, I am afraid to try using other MODs that affect that page.

If I haven't totally bored you at this point, can you tell me what I *should* have done?. Maybe I'll get brave and restore the original profile_add_body.tpl and try to accomplish my goals the correct way.

Thanks for your time.

Corby

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Corby, I really don't see anything wrong with what you've done. The MOD script is just a series of instructions telling EM what to do. If the MOD instructions no longer work properly for your board, the best thing for you to do is to correct the instructions so that they do...

In your Signature example, it sounds like the instructions didn't quite work for your profile_add_body.tpl file after all the changes that you made. So rather than manually modifying your phpBB files, you should have corrected the MOD instructions so that they worked correctly for your setup. I can't begin to guess why the Signature MOD removed everything else without seeing the MOD script and a text link to the modified profile_add_body.tpl, but I imagine it would have required only a small correction to the MOD script to get it to modify the phpBB code correctly...

corbya

Post by corbya »

I didn't really troubleshoot this. If I had to guess, we ended up with an extra comment code line somewhere which cut off the rest of the page.

Thanks for all your help.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Yes, it's possible that an open comment caused this or an incompleted HTML table. Without seeing the code, we can only speculate on what caused the problem...