installin simple subforum how to???? help

Having problems installing EM? Let's fix that
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
turbojenn

Re: installin simple subforum how to???? help

Post by turbojenn »

Yikes...looks like I've made a mess of the install process, then...I'm very green at doing all this, as you can tell. OK....so would I be better off restoring the orginal files, and then starting fresh with MODing the install file?

Thank you, thank you, for showing me the way!!

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Normally you could do a Restore Backups in EM History to restore the board back to what you had. But at this point, I'm not sure the backups that EM made will be any good either. If you haven't made any serious modifications to your phpBB code, you could reload the phpBB files. Just don't reinstall phpBB from scratch or that would overwrite your database too. You can follow these instructions...

Replicating phpBB Install without losing data

What I do when I want to reload all the files on a server is this:
  1. create backup of current config.php file from your phpBB root folder
  2. upload all new phpBB files,
  3. overwrite config.php with backup
  4. delete contrib and install folder
  5. upload all templates and images
  6. install EM
  7. reinstall all MODs using EM
It's fast and easy and you retain all of your data in your database...

If you don't have a program like MySql-Front then you either create a full backup of your database through your ACP or you can use the Export option in phpMyAdmin:

Image or Image

The GZipped version should be fine, although I have occasionally had trouble with it in the past. To be safe, you can do two Full db backups with and without GZip...

turbojenn

Post by turbojenn »

Sigh....okay, I think that's my best bet at this point. I have a clean back-up copy of the entire phpBB2 directory from before I started this little adventure yesterday....can I just use that to overwrite all the files, and then restore the DB through ACP?

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Your Database is not stored on your FTP server. So you won't lose any data as long as you don't run the install.php file that comes with a fresh phpBB install. If you have a complete backup of the files, then your config.php file should still be pointing to your database and nothing will be lost. If you have a broadband connection, it really shouldn't take long to upload your phpBB backups to your server. Just don't run any installation files...

turbojenn

Post by turbojenn »

Awesome. Thank you, thank you for all your wisdom and assistance...I'm sure I'll post back on how this goes!

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Just to be on the safe side, you might want to make another backup copy of your config.php file. That contains the settings that are used to access your database. The file can be recreated if it is accidentally overwritten, but if you have a good backup of it, there won't be any need to recreate it...

Let me know how it goes. Just don't run any installation files or you might lose your data in your database. There should be no contrib or install folder when you have uploaded your files...

Also, you will want to set the folder permissions of your cache and images/avatars to 777. You will also want to change the permissions of all folders where you allow members to upload to your site. Otherwise, all folder permissions should be set to 755, which should be the default. You don't have to worry about setting them to 755. Your server should automatically do it for you...

turbojenn

Post by turbojenn »

Holy guacamole!! I could not have done this without you!!! Ok, so I have completed step 1 of 3, I'm still getting some errors with installation on the iCGstation skin that I use...should I continue on in the same fashion and just adjust the install file to match the code in my skin's files?

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Yes, give me any Warning and Critical errors that you see and hopefully we should be able to adjust the MOD script so that it works on ALL of your template files. There are times when that's not possible, usually with the overall_header.tpl file, but most of the time it is...

turbojenn

Post by turbojenn »

This is so exciting - I'm making progress!! You are so amazing for helping me out like this!

Here's the errors - the overall_header was the exact one that I couldn't track down on my own.

Code: Select all

Warning

FIND FAILED: In file [templates/iCGstation/index_body.tpl] could not find:

<span class="gensmall">{catrow.forumrow.L_MODERATOR} {catrow.forumrow.MODERATORS}</span></td>
<td class="row2" align="center" valign="middle" height="50"><span class="gensmall">{catrow.forumrow.TOPICS}</span></td>
<td class="row2" align="center" valign="middle" height="50"><span class="gensmall">{catrow.forumrow.POSTS}</span></td>

MOD script line #826 :: FAQ :: Report

Error Detail

Warning

FIND FAILED: In file [templates/iCGstation/modcp_split.tpl] could not find:

<a href="{U_INDEX}" class="nav">{L_INDEX}</a><span class="nav">

MOD script line #887 :: FAQ :: Report

Error Detail

Warning

FIND FAILED: In file [templates/iCGstation/overall_header.tpl] could not find:

@import url("templates/iCGstation/formIE.css");

MOD script line #905 :: FAQ :: Report

Error Detail

Warning

FIND FAILED: In file [templates/iCGstation/viewforum_body.tpl] could not find:

<td align="left" valign="middle" class="nav" width="100%"><span class="nav">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="{U_INDEX}" class="nav">{L_INDEX}</a>

MOD script line #967 :: FAQ :: Report

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

Remember with EM, less is best. On the FIND statement, all it does is move the file pointer to the beginning of the line or lines that are specified. Only the IN-LINE FIND statements move the file pointer within those lines...

So in the FIND statement, you can get away with the minimum possible to find the specified location. So do this:

OPEN
simple_subforums_1.0.1.txt

FIND

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
<span class="gensmall">{catrow.forumrow.L_MODERATOR} {catrow.forumrow.MODERATORS}</span></td>
	<td class="row2" align="center" valign="middle" height="50"><span class="gensmall">{catrow.forumrow.TOPICS}</span></td>
	<td class="row2" align="center" valign="middle" height="50"><span class="gensmall">{catrow.forumrow.POSTS}</span></td>
REPLACE WITH

#
#
{catrow.forumrow.MODERATORS}
{catrow.forumrow.TOPICS}
{catrow.forumrow.POSTS}
Notice how I cut that down from the original using a much smaller chunk from each line from the original FIND statement. EM ONLY needs to find a unique word or phrase from each line to know where to go to from the FIND statement...

So that took care of the index_body.tpl file. Now continue on with this:

FIND

#
#
<a href="{U_INDEX}" class="nav">{L_INDEX}</a><span class="nav"> 
REPLACE WITH

#
#
{U_INDEX}
The next error could prove to be a problem since the code that it is looking for may not be in your overall_header.tpl file, but in your css file. Try this, but we may have to come back to this again:

FIND

#
#
@import url("templates/subSilver/formIE.css"); 
REPLACE WITH

#
#
@import url
FIND

#
#
	  <td align="left" valign="middle" class="nav" width="100%"><span class="nav">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="{U_INDEX}" class="nav">{L_INDEX}</a>
REPLACE WITH

#
#
{L_INDEX}
Save, upload, and try again using EM...