Admin panel not working after install

Having problems installing EM? Let's fix that
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
Lordy

Admin panel not working after install

Post by Lordy »

After installing, my admin panel does not work and instead gives me an error page, any ideas?

PoisonedV

Re: Admin panel not working after install

Post by PoisonedV »

You should probabley say what the error page says

Lordy

Post by Lordy »

well, its a custom error page...(my friends server) so i don't reallyk now if its a page not found or 404 error.

nvm, its a 500 (Internal server error)

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

EM doesn't overwrite any of your phpBB files when it installs so it isn't likely to have caused this problem...

With a Internal Server Error, it is likely that you accidentally changed the permissions of the admin folder to something other than 755. Check to make sure that the permissions for all of your folders are set to 755 and your files are set to 644, unless otherwise specified. The cache folder and any folders where your members upload files should be set to 777...

CHMOD Permissions

Do you have the permissions of the folders set to 755 and the files set to 644???

You can probably find instructions on how to do that at the site that provides your FTP application. I'm sure it varies from application to application...

I use SmartFTP. All you need to do is click on a folder or file in the right hand viewer and choose Properties/CHMOD or Alt+Enter

Then you can either enter the value, like 755 or 644, or you can click on the read, write, execute options, which do the same thing...

Lordy

Post by Lordy »

Hmm, I checked CHMOD status, it is 755.

Here's some more information

I set up another board, which works fine, I can get into admin panel.

I brought the MySQL database over from the first one to the second one, and the admin panel does not work again.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the MySQL database, but I have no idea exactly what.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

I would expect a SQL error if there was a problem with any of the tables. But you might want to run a repair on all of your tables anyway...

Check in your phpbb_config table to make sure that all the settings are accurate...

Lordy

Post by Lordy »

I did a repair, all were OK.

I checked the phpbb_config, as far as I can tell, all the tables are there.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

If the tables are OK and if one database works and the other doesn't, then the problem has to be in your phpbb_config table. I can't think of any setting in the phpbb_config table that would cause your ACP to work or not. But if it is possible, then the problem is most likely there. You might try emptying your phpbb_sessions table too...

Lordy

Post by Lordy »

Should I empty both sessions and sessions keys?

Nevermind, I got it. I was working with too many things to figure it out properly :P

thanks for your help

(it was the phpbb_config)

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider »

So everything is working again? If so, what is it in the phpbb_config table that would prevent the ACP from working???