trying to install easymod on phpbb running on localhost

Having problems installing EM? Let's fix that
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
jongartman

trying to install easymod on phpbb running on localhost

Post by jongartman »

I've been setting my laptop all day (Mac, OS X 10.3.8) with MySQL, PHP, and just recently phpBB so I can test things locally instead of replying on an ISP and host. I went through phpBB isntallation seemlessly, no apparent problems. First thing I'm doing is installing EasyMOD (of course ;)) and this is where I run into problems. I'm trying to install EM 0.1.13 on phpBB 2.0.14 and I get past the first screen where i enter the DB name and pass/account, all went well. I am now at "step 1":
em step 1 wrote: Step 1 (gathering settings): Welcome to the EasyMOD installer. EasyMOD will try to guide you every step of the way. First, we need to know a little about your server.
where ist is asking me about FTP information. At first I was confused because I won't be FTPing to the files, so i asked EM to suggest something to do... but nothing. When I click "Submit" or "Go" (next to the language selection), even "Display Debug Info" all that happens is the page is "refreshed" and reloaded. now granted, I bumbled through the installs today, so I'm sure that EasyMOD isn't at fault here or anything, but i was hoping someone could help point me in the direction of where something might have gone wrong.

I'd be willing to manually install it so that I won't have to trudge through a bunch of mods, but I don't know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

GPHemsley

Re: trying to install easymod on phpbb running on localhost

Post by GPHemsley »

Hmm... you sure PHP is set up correctly and all that? Also, what browser are you using? None of the links or buttons at all work? That's odd....

Augustin

Post by Augustin »

I just had the very same problem.
It seems it's easier to install easymod on a remote server rather than a local one...
How does one ftp files from our test server to itself?
http://www.reuniting.info" target="_blank Healing with sexual relationships

Alternative Voting (Condorcet, Approval Voting) phpBB Mod at
http://www.masquilier.org" target="_blank (currently unmaintained)

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Most likely, if you're running a test server on your own computer, you're going to want to use server-server-copy, rather than the FTP functions.

Augustin

Post by Augustin »

Thank you for your reply.

I don't see the server-server-copy option.

Step one, the options are:
* I have FTP access to my phpBB files on the server.
* This is a Windows server and I don't have to worry about file permissions.
* I don't have FTP access. Have EasyMOD suggest what to do please!

If I choose the 3rd option, I don't get anything any more useful... I would have thought that doing things locally would have been the easiest option.

bix

Post by bix »

I have the exact same problem, except that I'm on a Windows machine. None of the options do anything but reload that first page.

Help would be appreciated.

Augustin

Post by Augustin »

Actually, I just managed installing it, but a coding bias towards ftp installation makes the solution not so obvious to find.

As noted above, choose the third option in step one. In the next window, choose to manually download each file. Carry on, following the instruction onscreen. The files have to be manually copied from the easymod folder to their proper location (which files go where is printed on the screen.)

Certainly the process for local installation could be made easier... or at least the process to follow in such a case easier to figure out (not coding needed: just change a few comments, especially the one with the sad smiley..) ... but it works this way.

bix

Post by bix »

I must be missing something obvious.

I went through the installation steps again for both PhPBB and easymod, and I came up with the identical behavior:

any link, choice, selection chosen from the admin/mods/easymod/easymod_install.php results in a reload of step 1.

Where are the instructions to copy files manually?

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

That problem with the reloading of Step 1 anytime you do something has been popping up a lot lately, and I have no idea why.

As for the bias towards FTP and all that, it's because most people use FTP. The interface was simplified a while back because people were getting confused as to what to do. Switching to Advanced Mode will give you more specific control over what method to use. (Choosing Choice 3 in Simple Mode gives the same results, I believe.) My advice would be to try getting either server-server-copy or FTP to work, because manually moving and copying files can be very tedious.

bix

Post by bix »

I had thought that maybe advanced mode would help as well, but again, it simply reloads that page. The same is true of the debug mode.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a server to do a server-server transfer. FTP should be setup on my apache installation, but its still a localhost machine.

So, at this point, I'd prefer the tedious method, making the assumption that after I've completed it, subsequent MODs will be less painful. Is there a set of instructions on how to do this manually? I didn't see a link to one.

If not, then I'm going to call this a bust, and go ahead with making the 5+ hours of MODs that I need to.

Thanks for the help!