Iconify

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Iconify

Post by hanakin »

I may expand on this later so please check back but in response to icons. I want to break everything done to be as clear as possible. FA5 and FA4 are completely different beast in every way. They are not a 1:1 switch. There will be some pain. This is why I was against switching to FA5 and why we are moving away from FA by it self as our icon framework.

Also one other reason is that Version 5 segregated the icons into free and paid tiers basically outlined icons are behind a license that is single use only. Meaning we can not ship with it without breaking the license.

We also did some ground work along with the change to prep and simplify the way we use icons. Which will set us up for an easier transition to 4.0.

But the fact is Icons have changed you will have to live with it or just change overall header in you custom style to use version 4!

Going forward in 4.0 we are using a more robust and easier to work with system that will again have a learning curve. This is the nature of design and progress and why we made some of the minor changes now.

1. We have never and will never support nor recommended editing icon glyphs via css this is a terrible practice and should be avoided. I recommend having a look at iconify if you want full control over which icon you use with the largest most easy to use library of icons. It includes all icon libraries essentially. It’s very straightforward and easy to use it will just be somewhat tedious to edit all the icons to work with.

We briefly discussed using it in 3.3.1 basically just refactoring
This pr https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/5753 to not use the icon function but just iconify as it’s required in 4.0 anyway. But ultimately it was deemed to big of a change for a minor version as it would break all styles and requires a lot of changes as even though we would still ship with FA4 it would only be used for icons added for custom styles and ext until they converted them over to use iconify.

Again I will come back and may expand on this post once I get more time but wanted to provide more info.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Re: phpBB 3.3.1-RC1 released

Post by 3Di »

hanakin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:48 am But the fact is Icons have changed you will have to live with it or just change overall header in you custom style to use version 4!
I would suggest to live with it instead of forcing the use of version 4, that would break some new extensions which will be based on FA5 icons only.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Well, then you have to live with the fact that there are big differences. It would have been better to stay with the 4.7 instead of implementing the icons 5 in 3.3.1 after 3.3.0 was released.
1. We have never and will never support nor recommended editing icon glyphs via css this is a terrible practice and should be avoided. I recommend having a look at iconify if you want full control over which icon you use with the largest most easy to use library of icons. It includes all icon libraries essentially. It’s very straightforward and easy to use it will just be somewhat tedious to edit all the icons to work with.
So it didn't seem quite so easy to insert them in my Style :) . Also some icons have a different license e.g The MIT License (MIT). I have already examined this Iconify several times. But I take a closer look at it again.
this is a terrible practice and should be avoided
There were no problems with the 4.7 icons and they looked good. :lol:
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Tastenplayer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 am Well, then you have to live with the fact that there are big differences.
Exactly.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Tread

Post by Tread »

Ok so for icons i guess thats sorted live with it :lol: how about the view more smilies is there an sql that can be run to fix the issue ?
rxu wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:37 am It's a syntax error in SQL query so not MySQL 8 specific. That's a blocker for 3.3.1 release I guess.
Here https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/650 ... g.php#L121 'ORDER_BY' => 's.min_smiley_order', should be 'ORDER_BY' => 'min_smiley_order', (no s. alias prefix).

rxu

Post by rxu »

There's no need in SQL to run anywhere but this change to fix the issue https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/601 ... 6b6d831a85

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

That’s subjective there was plenty wrong with them pretty much the same issues you are seeing here we are just no longer going out of our way to fix all the individual icon issues going forward. This is why we want to move away from there icons as they are not well designed which leads to inconsistent sizing and looks.

As for the ext this just further compounds the issues but using version 4 will not cause too many issues going backwards is easier than forwards that is the point of the translation layer.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

The issue I really see with Iconify is that is served just via web, not really sure (investigated) that there is a CDN for it but not local copies ofcourse (indeed due to the nature of it). That seems to me a blocker somehow, assuming I am right. Someone to share some lights on this subject? I know that could be off-topic here but really this argument needs a devoted topic IMHO if not already exists.

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

The other problem is that it has many different licenses for the sets. Also, it has many icons, but only a few fit a phpBB style. Also when you mix sets - the icons are different sizes. (I should actually insert my own sticky locked now) http://style-creations.bplaced.net/phpBB3/app.php/viewlegend

Edit: 4.7.
https://material.io/resources/icons/?style=sharp Available under Apache license version 2.0.
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

3Di wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:51 pm this argument needs a devoted topic IMHO
Could some moderator please split the iconify posts to a devoted topic into the 4.0 DEV forum? Thanks.

I posted a report.