[NEW THEME] 4. JS frameworks & approach

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [NEW THEME] 4. JS frameworks & approach

Post by CHItA »

Yeah sure, but when should we throw out jquery if not with the new theme. Also, we could probably add some code to make it easier to manage JS libraries but that is probably another discussion.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Yes and while there is some overlap, there are features that are not in vue that are in jquery and vice verse
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

hanakin, could you provide us with a concrete example how vue could be used? I have worked with the library on one project and while it like it extremely, I simply can't imagine how it would work without being used as primary templating engine. The output of vue is always a JS code that attaches to a root element and lives it's own life inside the element. How possibly could it interact with the rest of the code?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

It’s on my todo list I’m just extremely busy with other things. But the main difference between vue and jquery is the linkage mechanic with jquery you link to an html node via caching the node for use. In vue there is never a need for cache as the linkage is persistent and two way
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

How many different topics is there posted here now about working on a different theme? I've lost count how many different topics there's been on the "same subject" (using something different each time). Isn't it about time you just settled on something and got a new theme made for phpBB and dropped ProSilver once and for all that looks like something from 1980s - instead of all these different topics that never amounts to anything other than just talking about it, until the next theme topic idea is started.

You just go around in circles every time with each new topic started about a new theme.
Last edited by mrgtb on Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Pretty sure the ones created in the past year or two were about the same theme and just broken down into parts for easier decision-making hence the number at the beginning of the topic title. Care to provide some examples of these "many different topics"?

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

DavidIQ wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm Pretty sure the ones created in the past year or two were about the same theme and just broken down into parts for easier decision-making hence the number at the beginning of the topic title. Care to provide some examples of these "many different topics"?
Well let me put it this way. 2 years ago I was reading this about a new theme, and 2 years later I'm still reading the same. Why does it take 2 years to come up with a new theme and there's still not one created for phpBB 3.1 or 3.2.

And my god! Who decided to make text so small in quotes here. I need my magnifying glass to read it.

david63

Post by david63 »

mrgtb wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:25 pm and dropped ProSilver once and for all
I would like to think that that will not be happening anytime soon otherwise virtually all the styles and extensions that are currently available will stop working.
mrgtb wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 pm Why does it take 2 years to come up with a new theme
Probably due to a lack of manpower
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Because it was never intended for either of those versions as has been made clear from the start. Fortunately for the community in general, we aren't just going to slap in a new style to replace the current prosilver without thorough planning as it will have major implications for style and extension authors. Also there isn't a dedicated person for this that doesn't have an actual job. We're all volunteers so this sort of thing takes time.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I understand that most extensions use proSilver style. But at the end of the day you cannot let that hold you back from not implementing a more modern and up-to-date style. You can argue the same thing if somebody decides to use a custom theme, that many extensions might not work with it. But people are still going to install a custom theme because ProSilver is too old looking. So the extension side of things shouldn't stop you, and you had the same thing anyway when you moved from 3.1 to 3.2, that all extensions had to be redone for 3.2

So it's not like you haven't already faced the problem of extensions having all be redone again by authors, it was needed with 3.2 release