Some minor full editor improvements

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: Some minor full editor improvements

Post by hanakin »

there are alot of issues with mobile because even though we claim to be responsive...the theme is not it has hacked functionality which is never possible to create a true responsive (actually not a proper term not to mention way overused used incorrectly as well)[adaptive is the word everyone should be using!] experience this way.

In all honesty the buttons need to go for mobile! I don't use them at all on my phone.

The best mobile experience is to not need the buttons and type the codes manually. Yes its cumbersome because BBCODES are not a clean language for lack of a better term. This is not a problem with the editor but a problem with BBCODES.

I have been preaching this for years but we really need to transition to markdown at least for all the basics and reserve the use of [] format codes for customs only! its extremely easy to use a phone/tablet editor with markdown in fact we do it everyday...have a look at github's interface on a phone lately whats missing? everything but the textarea and submit button.

NOTE I said transition...just allow the current default BBCODES to parse into markdown equivalents and then parse it through markdown ;)

If you absolutely need/want quick access to BBCODE icons on mobile the best option is a toggle-able hidden dropdown menu. This adds a second click to the process but its the cleanest way.

P.S. I am working on a new theme and the editor will be its own component and its on my todo list, but I already have put some thought into it ;)
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

hanakin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 pm allow the current default BBCODES to parse into markdown equivalents and then parse it through markdown ;)
You don't have to turn one into the other. If you toggle the Litedown you get most of the Markdown syntax alongside normal BBCodes.

You can try it out in Flarum's sandbox if you're wondering: https://devflarum.xyzz.work/d/1-info (assuming no one logged in as an admin to turn it off)

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

JoshyPHP wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 am If you toggle the Litedown you get most of the Markdown syntax alongside normal BBCodes.
Toggle? perhaps just enable it by default in core, or is there an acp option somewhere?

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

No, you need to do it in an extension. Something like that but with Litedown instead of FancyPants.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

ok then perhaps we should just create an RFC for adding it as an option in the core...

3Di

Post by 3Di »

🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

there are a number of discussions about it but the fact of the matter is they are all moot points as they delve into personal opinion and preference. I am arguing that its should be included as an option and let the admin trun it on or off. callum summed it up quite well https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13616446. Most of the arguments against are those who do not use it or understand it much as they are older and more familiar with BBCODE.

The real argument is the need for simplicity when using a mobile device it's far easier to type and be very skilled on a mobile platform using markdown vs BBCODE. besides he is talking litedown which is a smaller subset of markdown.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

Whether or not the message markup system gets changed, you still need buttons to give inexperienced users ways to format their message. If/when phpBB finally gets a WYSIWYG interface (another thing long overdue) for posting they will be necessary.

And putting the whole bbCode issue aside, the CSS of the text area needs to be updated to be more mobile friendly.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

They are the same issue... both need addressed. The point or fact really is you should not be creating complicated post from a phone that require more than the basic bbcode which markdown/lightdown offer. If you need to create a more complicated post you are proabably going to do so on a tablet or desktop. Therefore the buttons add no really benefit on a mobile device given that I can **bold** or _italics_ simply with out the need for using bbcode it's easy to pick up and easy to remember and we naturally understand it even without the parsing. Or u want to make something bigger than

#It

When I'm on a phone I never need to leave the quick editor...

P.S.

This post has been brought to you by my 📱 ;)

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

The reasoning that people should only make basic replies on a phone is absurd. I've already demonstrated some relatively minor changes which greatly improve the full editor mobile posting experience. Why deny making things better?