New Admin Style for phpBB 3.3?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: New Admin Style for phpBB 3.3?

Post by hanakin »

I am tracking and not disagreeing that eventually all needs to flow for continuity and easy of development. My main point is still sound. We are still not done with the front-end and its difficult to build them side by side.

However the codebase still needs cleaned-up as well as the UI eventually so to make it easier on ourselves later as its much easier to go from modern compliance to modern compliance then to go from the *beep* we have now to modern compliance. By allowing for the development to move along with framework a its easier to swap down the road to framework b even before 3.3 is final if not then 3.4. Not to mention it will move faster than the front-end as template inheritance is not a thing, *beep* ass back-end code overlap is not a worry, etc...
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

david63 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm What I am saying is - "Why invent the wheel twice?"

If we are intent on changing the "framework" for styles then let's try and make life easier for extension developers. Currently there is one "framework" (using the term very loosely) for front facing templates and another for ACP templates
DavidIQ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:20 pm Case in point: since phpBB 3.0 came out almost 10 years ago there has been 1 ACP style submitted.
I agree, but there is no reason why that would need to change, but there are some who would at least like to have the option to give the ACP the same look as the rest of their board.
I agree. Or a different one. Why not?
I'd go for ACP styles to be created/submitted. DavidIQ linked to a phpBB3 ACP style (not anymore available to us) but I remember of those times of phpBB2 where multiple coders faced that argument producing a bunch of nice sexy-ACPs.

The Categories Hierarchy MOD has been the best of. :geek:
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

david63

Post by david63 »

hanakin wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:11 am some inspiration...

http://www.codecovers.eu/materialadmin/ ... /dashboard
I like that concept
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

david63 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:59 am
hanakin wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:11 am some inspiration...

http://www.codecovers.eu/materialadmin/ ... /dashboard
I like that concept
Me too.

I really love the left sidebar, just like the xbox app for W10.

Qiaeru

Post by Qiaeru »

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Miles Cellar wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:12 pm Another great inspiration: https://almsaeedstudio.com/themes/AdminLTE/index2.html (GitHub)
nah its just a random BS theme and its built on v3 which I would opt out of due to longevity. I would rather see something like https://themes.getbootstrap.com/products/dashboard if you want to showcase BS but still prefer GMD!

yasara

Post by yasara »

Styling ACP is not only mean adding colors and make it look better. My opinion is styling ACP should be more than that. We need to be able to improve the already existing features. In the admin control panel user have the ability to view the summary of statistical details. But it need to improved to display using graphs. We need to enhance existing features to enhance the usability. User would be able to easily catch these statistics without giving more weight on that.

More over we need to use more icons. As I studied for human computer interaction recognition is always better than recall. Because recognition refers to our ability to “recognize” an event or piece of information as being familiar, while recall designates the retrieval of related details from memory. So using more icons, graphs would be a one way of my opinions of improving styles of the ACP.

My opinion in this topic is currently there are many more libraries that we would be able to use for styling easily if we use a framework like bootstrap. Moreover as a user I found those things that need to be implemented. There are many more. Sidebar should be fixed when content scrolling down and there are many more things we need improve.

This is just an idea of mine.

I really like the view of that bs admin theme. It has many features implemented on it. User have the ability to work easily with this admin panel. It was free and I have used that once. And also I like this https://themes.getbootstrap.com/products/dashboard

3Di

Post by 3Di »

IMO there is something to do first on the PHP side, before to really think to code something new for the admin style,
Ideas here are nice and all, indeed.

Have a look also to
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 21#p296321 (Rewriting *_cps)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades