Which IE versions should we kill?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Which Internet Explorer versions should we kill?

IE8
15%
IE8 and IE9
29%
IE8, IE9 and IE10
8%
All of them!
38%
I love IE
9%

Total votes: 78

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Which IE versions should we kill?

Post by callumacrae »

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... t-spartan/

As someone who spends ~45 hours a week doing front-end development, I do :) I spend most of my time in Chrome because that's my browser of choice, a few hours a week in IE8, and on the projects we don't support IE8 in, I barely spend any time at all in Internet Explorer. It's not difficult to support.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

Volksdevil wrote:You can't say that my opinion isn't true :| :lol: You can disagree with it sure...
But again IMO, even how you say that they have started becoming more transparent and more compliant...Well, about time wouldn't you say? And it doesn't mean it's up to speed as far as modern browsing when it comes to speed, reliability, U.I etc etc. It's a million miles behind Google Chrome for me.

An opinion isn't fact so it can be neither true nor false. Also I don't think you have kept up with Microsoft or IE development enough to say its "a million miles behind Google Chrome". They basically forked there old engine and gutted it and rebuilt it.

You can read up on it at the Microsoft Edge Dev Blog. Also as to Microsoft in general, the "old" Microsoft that some are bashing on is basically gone, Nadella is completely different then Ballmer. The new Microsoft is contributing to Chromium by reporting bugs that they found in their own engine and testing them in other browsers too lol.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

IMO, from a webdev perspective, IE9 is an acceptable browser and IE10 is a good browser. They behave in a good or OK manner, specially considering the time they were made.
Starting on IE11, I think they finally caught up on the "train" and they are doing it right.
In other words, Volksdevil, I think you are wrong there. You are not being open-minded with a program just due to its reputation.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

I'm not wrong, I'm sharing my own experience of using said product. It's OK everybody here saying I haven't kept up with development...I shouldn't have to. The average user simply uses the browser (IE Version whatever) and should expect it to work well. In my experience it does not. Whenever I have a browser session 'Crash' it's always, and I mean always when using IE.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Volksdevil wrote:I'm not wrong, I'm sharing my own experience of using said product. It's OK everybody here saying I haven't kept up with development...I shouldn't have to. The average user simply uses the browser (IE Version whatever) and should expect it to work well. In my experience it does not. Whenever I have a browser session 'Crash' it's always, and I mean always when using IE.
Funny...I have the same experience with Chrome. ;) I think mileage varies.

Personally I stick to IE (11+) since Chrome is a resource hog and I don't have any extra issues that I don't have with Chrome. The web in general works and looks the same between the two as far as I've seen. If it doesn't work in IE 11 and I check it with Chrome...it doesn't work there either. I only keep Chrome around just because of the occasional "it doesn't look right in Chrome" report I get.

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

Volksdevil wrote:It's OK everybody here saying I haven't kept up with development...I shouldn't have to.
IMO if your going to post an opinion on the 'Development Discussion Board', I think it would be a good idea to have some recent/up kept knowledge of the current web standards and issues. Especially if that opinion will affect end users based on the choices made here.

You wouldn't vote for an elected official without keeping up with what they do/stand for right?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Khaos-Rage wrote:You wouldn't vote for an elected official without keeping up with what they do/stand for right?
Seriously? Have you seen how people vote?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

http://www.itworld.com/article/2939255/ ... ws-xp.html

Things like this is why we can't have nice things...granted it's for the U.S. Navy's warfare systems, which isn't likely to have Internet access, but that's just one example of a government entity not being able to move forward into systems like Windows 7, 8, and 10 (or even Vista) because of legacy systems. :roll:

The point isn't that we should hold off killing off support for older IE versions btw, but that there does exist a contingency of agencies around the world, government or not, that will stay on older OSes just to be able to use/support legacy systems. Jumping to the conclusion that nobody will care/notice that we dropped support for x or y is not really realistic.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote: DELETED FOR TEST
Testing quote time error

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

DavidIQ wrote: http://www.itworld.com/article/2939255/ ... ws-xp.html

Things like this is why we can't have nice things...granted it's for the U.S. Navy's warfare systems, which isn't likely to have Internet access, but that's just one example of a government entity not being able to move forward into systems like Windows 7, 8, and 10 (or even Vista) because of legacy systems. :roll:

The point isn't that we should hold off killing off support for older IE versions btw, but that there does exist a contingency of agencies around the world, government or not, that will stay on older OSes just to be able to use/support legacy systems. Jumping to the conclusion that nobody will care/notice that we dropped support for x or y is not really realistic.
FYI that article is completely misleading and mostly false, nearly all US military systems are now running windows 7 and Vista if not. If 100,000 is the correct number thats not even 1% of the total systems which would not justify a bill of 9 billion and there is no way they could even get approval through congress to even get anywhere near that in the current economy.

Windows 8 is unusable by anyone, but windows 10 from what I have seen has fixed most of the issues holding back anyone from making the switch to 10.

As far as browser support IE 9 is the oldest browser used by the DOD and those are slated for replacement for IE11. Especially since it has an option to render pages in compatibility mode for older browsers like IE8.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image