Defining a New Default Theme

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
mrgtb

Re: Defining a New Default Theme

Post by mrgtb »

I see the forum background was added here with rounded corners, also spotted latest DEV build download and installed includes it in style so know it's coming in RC2 release. Bit of a question though, can we expect to see more changes planned made with style before RC2 is released, or is that it?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

mrgtb wrote:I see the forum background was added here with rounded corners, also spotted latest DEV build download and installed includes it in style so know it's coming in RC2 release. Bit of a question though, can we expect to see more changes planned made with style before RC2 is released, or is that it?
Ah not really the place to ask this, but have a look at the tracker to see all the proposals
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Why doesn't this work to add background image to top of page behind new forum white background used here (I upgraded to RC2 DEV). In colours.css I changed this section.

Code: Select all

html, body {
	color: #536482;
	background-color: #F5F7FA;
To this: (and uploaded a new image called "bg_body.gif") to theme/images directory.

html, body {
	background-image: url("./images/bg_body.gif") repeat-x;
Even tried this to position it top left.

html, body {
	background-image: url("./images/bg_body.gif") repeat-x top left;
But nothing shows up at top of page and bg_body image used was 1px wide by 300px long. And yes, I cleared theme cache. I can't fathom out why it's not showing up as a 300px long different colour body background image top of page behind white forum background with rounded corners.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

mrgtb wrote:@mrgtb
can you please stop responding to this topic it is not a topic for discussion as the first post specifies. It is nothing more than a central repository for all the linked topics.

These are not even related to this topic which is about creating a new theme. It has nothing to do with prosilver!

Your questions are more suited in the topic related to the questions

https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 53#p267253

KurtisC

Post by KurtisC »

FloFlo91 wrote:Another idea is to etablish a simple style editor in admin panel with main informations.

For exemple, let's the possibility to change some colors, images that are in CSS, font-size, etc...

It will be usefull for administrators who don't really know CSS.
Surely if an administrator wants to style their board (or any website for that matter), they should learn at least basic CSS given how it's used in both PHPBB and virtually every other website on the internet? It's a good skill to have (even if it does sometimes feel complicated).

I don't see anything urgently wrong with the idea of having an administrative panel based solely on styling editing, but I always get the impression that it's bad practice and that you should update the code directly on your own computer and upload it to your web-server (and refresh the cache) rather than essentially going by an on-server configuration setup. I guess I'm old fashioned... :roll:

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

One question? How long are we talking before this style can be used, it's finished ready for use with phpBB 3.1? Because as pointed out before at the start of this topic, they only want one style included with phpBB 3.1. So is either working on a new one and scrapping ProSilver, or changing the look of ProSilver (much faster option) I'd have thought of the two.

Just curious what kind of time-scale your putting on this being ready? I'm presuming before phpBB 3.1 is released as final version (gold).

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

you presume incorrectly as a new is a long and difficult task and will require alot of time and dedication. This will not happen before or 3.1 and possibly not even before 3.2.

No work has begun other than the initial questions and planning stage beginning. Which is what this post is all about defining a new theme not creating one.

I think the best way for this to happen as quickly as possible is for it to be released as an additional style first on PHPBB.com Something simple and clean that we can build upon and mold into a style that ships with PHPBB 3.2

But thats just my feelings towards the matter I have no say on the intentions of the devs

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Could be wrong, no idea. But would have thought seeing as your talking so far into the future on this, that the intention of the DEV's has already become apparent after seeing the forum background added here with rounded corners, plus things moved around to suit it. Looks to me anyhow seeing that happen, that things have already been put in motion to start changing the appearance of ProSilver theme.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

mrgtb wrote:Could be wrong, no idea. But would have thought seeing as your talking so far into the future on this, that the intention of the DEV's has already become apparent after seeing the forum background added here with rounded corners, plus things moved around to suit it. Looks to me anyhow seeing that happen, that things have already been put in motion to start changing the appearance of ProSilver theme.
you seem to be confusing prosilver with a new theme its not the same thing. we have been improving prosilver yes but its far from a useable theme. Which is where this post comes into play. Their are plans to work on something once 3.1 ships but the focus is getting 3.1 out firs with some enhancements to prosilver, but the codebase for prosilver is corrupt at the core which is not easily if not impossible to fix. Add to that that a lot of design changes need to happen to accommodate these and it becomes a nightmare with everyone having an opinion that has to be taken into consideration on design/ui/ux,etc...

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

hanakin wrote:... and it becomes a nightmare with everyone having an opinion that has to be taken into consideration on design/ui/ux,etc...
Lol... If anyone want proof just look at this topic :lol: