Avatars

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:23 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: Avatars

Post by david63 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:24 am

3Di wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 4:25 am
Yes, but what about if an user doesn't want at all to have an avatar (especially a forced one of any sort)?
My logic tells me an user option should be introduced for this case(s).
99% of users will probably not be bothered one way or the other and for the other 1% just tell that is how it is.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

User avatar
Jacob
Registered User
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Avatars

Post by Jacob » Sat May 27, 2017 8:30 am

Not a fan of default avatars, I don't see their benefit.

User avatar
3Di
Registered User
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: Milano (I) Frankfurt (D)
Contact:

Re: Avatars

Post by 3Di » Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 am

david63 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 7:24 am
3Di wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 4:25 am
Yes, but what about if an user doesn't want at all to have an avatar (especially a forced one of any sort)?
My logic tells me an user option should be introduced for this case(s).
99% of users will probably not be bothered one way or the other and for the other 1% just tell that is how it is.
That's not politically correct, so to speak.
As an admin you need users, I don't know if you have ever had a real business. :)
Want to compensate me for my interest? Don't ask me, just do it
I'm available for custom phpBB jobs, you can PM me the details.
New: my Live Board, Extensions and Tools for phpBB - Men at works.

User avatar
hanakin
Website Team
Website Team
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Avatars

Post by hanakin » Sun May 28, 2017 10:16 am

ok not sure everyone understands what the point of an avatar really is from a design/UI perspective...especially in todays mobile/tablet day in age. The point/purpose of an avatar as switched from what we generally have used it for in the past. Its no longer just a way of personalizing a profile. Its also a visual queue to your user. From a UI perspective an avatar is associated by users with there name or there profile. This provides a standardized visual queue that we relate to the username which means we have a very scalable replacement for the user name in some places where displaying a string of text is not really possible on small screens or even large screens without allowing for *beep* up layouts.

take github for example when viewing a PR, all the commits a prepended by an avatar so you know who committed it. There is no username displayed, instead its alt text and the avatar is the link to the profile. This is done to allow for the commit msg to have the necessary space on all devices.

We can set a template variable for NO_AVATAR and use it to only display the avatar if its true for those who do not want to use the default avatar or for the situations where the style author may not want a default. This is an edge case but this allows for far better control for the style author in a much cleaner way of doing things.

We should still keep the global disable toggle...Thats fine it should have no effect if they are disabled altogether. If the admin makes this choice they will most likely choose/modify the theme to fix any minor display issues with the use of avatars.

User avatar
BioLogIn
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Avatars

Post by BioLogIn » Sun May 28, 2017 12:13 pm

ok not sure everyone understands what the point of an avatar really is from a design/UI perspective...especially in todays mobile/tablet day in age. The point/purpose of an avatar as switched from what we generally have used it for in the past. Its no longer just a way of personalizing a profile. Its also a visual queue to your user. From a UI perspective an avatar is associated by users with there name or there profile. This provides a standardized visual queue that we relate to the username which means we have a very scalable replacement for the user name in some places where displaying a string of text is not really possible on small screens or even large screens without allowing for *beep* up layouts.
I respectfully disagree with your generalizations. While what you say about avatars might be true for some (and even most) of the boards, at least at my forums there are a lot of people who:
a) change their avatars on a regular basis;
or
b) abstain from using avatars at all (myself included).

I think that from UX perspective, an improvement in avatar upload/setup process, which is currently extremely clunky and requires user to pre-process images before the upload, would make a much more positive impact on usability. Something similar to this ext, for example: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2343741, would be much appreciated.

User avatar
3Di
Registered User
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: Milano (I) Frankfurt (D)
Contact:

Re: Avatars

Post by 3Di » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:56 am

In any case, please, something which rules the size of it?
http://prntscr.com/ffnd1c
Want to compensate me for my interest? Don't ask me, just do it
I'm available for custom phpBB jobs, you can PM me the details.
New: my Live Board, Extensions and Tools for phpBB - Men at works.

User avatar
javiexin
Registered User
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Avatars

Post by javiexin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:17 am

3Di wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:56 am
In any case, please, something which rules the size of it?
http://prntscr.com/ffnd1c
This seems to me like a bug in dealing with avatars in notifications. Probably related to https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4808

-javiexin

User avatar
hanakin
Website Team
Website Team
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Avatars

Post by hanakin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:06 pm

yes that is a caused by a bug. it was not necessarily caused by that pr but was made apparent by that pr. https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15233 which caused this discussion. It has nothing to do with rules. It has to do with the fact that we can not easily control the content the backend returns

User avatar
3Di
Registered User
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: Milano (I) Frankfurt (D)
Contact:

Re: Avatars

Post by 3Di » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:31 am

I see, just I meant "rules" so to speak, like "have control". :)
Want to compensate me for my interest? Don't ask me, just do it
I'm available for custom phpBB jobs, you can PM me the details.
New: my Live Board, Extensions and Tools for phpBB - Men at works.

Post Reply