[PHP] fulltext_native

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Leinad4Mind

[PHP] fulltext_native

Post by Leinad4Mind »

Identifer: fulltext_native.php
Parameters: Dunno
Explanation: There is no event in the fulltext_native.php to be able to split and search for the topic description. So basically if I create any kind of extension that needs to search for the title + new field, I would need a new event on the search files as fulltext_native.php.
That way, for example, with Topic Description extension, I could search the Topic Title and Topic Description with the same search field.
In my case I want to use that extension because I've Title and Alternative Title, and when I search something, it should search on both simultaneously.

I did this on 3.0 with some core edit files. But on 3.1 I wanted to be able to do this without core edits.

Some people told me that this is the place to request this kind of new Events. So here am I.

Best regards

javiexin

Re: [PHP] fulltext_native

Post by javiexin »

Well, I have another alternative: write a service replacement for fulltext_native.php...

Simplifying, what this would do would be: inherit from the current fulltext_native.php (in your own extension), then change whatever methods you need modified (not too easy, as I just glanced at the code, and it is quite spread all over), but most importantly, the index and index_remove methods. And, if you want to provide a "search for description" only, you might need to add that to keyword_search as well.

Not an easy task I must say... But doable.
Hope this helps,
-javiexin

Leinad4Mind

Post by Leinad4Mind »

First of, I'm not a phpbb extension developer xD. This event was asked for some extensions already by other users too. I just exposed my case, so the devs from phpbb can understand at least one reason to have that event. When I asked this feature to some developers, they all said that they couldnt do it, and ask me to ask phpbb dev team to add this event. And this was already at least 6 months ago, till today no dev tried to write an alternative, maybe because the simple thing is maybe to add an event to phpbb.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Leinad4Mind wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 pm First of, I'm not a phpbb extension developer xD. This event was asked for some extensions already by other users too. I just exposed my case, so the devs from phpbb can understand at least one reason to have that event. When I asked this feature to some developers, they all said that they couldnt do it, and ask me to ask phpbb dev team to add this event. And this was already at least 6 months ago, till today no dev tried to write an alternative, maybe because the simple thing is maybe to add an event to phpbb.
Unless this was followed for properly requesting an event, mentioning in passing the need for some event in the core 6 months ago, or any amount of time, without having a ticket would be fruitless.

Leinad4Mind

Post by Leinad4Mind »

Yes, I follow that information that I found on this forum. I guess I've done all well. If not, well, I tried at least...

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

So you mean this:
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14667

I'm sorry but we're not going to insert an event into a function into a random location in the hopes that it will be used by an extension developer. If there is such a developer that needs it and knows where it needs to go at then they need to create the ticket with the details of what they need. Rich, the person linked to in this ticket, is more than capable of doing so as he's done it in the past. If he hasn't created a ticket for it then it's because he might not be interested in implementing the use of such an event in his extension. fulltext_native.php already has some events so it is possible he's already using one of those.