PHPBB3-14844 - BBcode on style inherit from prosilver

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Jester-fr

Re: PHPBB3-14844 - BBcode on style inherit from prosilver

Post by Jester-fr »

hanakin wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:13 pm I have yet to see a compelling use case for why you would ever want something to be bold but not weighted. There is no disadvantage to weighting something when its bold unless you do not understand the concept of what bold means. Quoting w3c does nothing for your sake as the b & i elements are not really used anymore.
Because for non deficient visual person, strong don't appear on the board ? Why let put a "b" BBcode is you don't want to use it ? :shock:

This example is not very important, but this one is !

The descriptions they are using are an attempt to redefine them.
????

A bold code is different from a strong one (not visual, just for SEO and visual deficients...).
Here, on prosilver bold code return a... bold code, on child styles same code return a bold code into... strong one... You don't see any error ? :shock:

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

cabot wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:29 am Not only outside of a post but everywhere those BBcodes are used, even in a post.
Except for a style which inherit the parent bbcode.html file.

This is bold text in span as declared in bbcode.php, not text in strong tag as it would be according to bbcode.html.
noted but again this is an error with bbcode.php which does need work re-factoring. Its not loading the template file which it should in all cases. That entire function that has html in it needs removed and factored out.
Crizzo wrote:poke
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

cabot

Post by cabot »

hanakin wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:49 pmbut again this is an error with bbcode.php which does need work re-factoring
I never said the opposite...

And please note that we have differents points of views and that yours is not better than another, you are free to interpret the W3C recommendations to match your decision as I am free to follow them closely, but what you affirm as a truth is only a personal opinion, nothing else.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

The template loader works fine, prosilver's template bitfield indicates that the default template should be used for bold, italic and a few others. I don't know why there's a bold template in bbcode.html, it could be the remnant of a previous iteration or it may serve as an example for other styles that want to replace those default templates.

If anything was to be refactored, I'd rather just remove the per-style BBCode templates since they are almost never used and move all BBCodes to the database. Of course, some people would complain that it breaks their workflow.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

JoshyPHP wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:25 pm The template loader works fine, prosilver's template bitfield indicates that the default template should be used for bold, italic and a few others. I don't know why there's a bold template in bbcode.html, it could be the remnant of a previous iteration or it may serve as an example for other styles that want to replace those default templates.

If anything was to be refactored, I'd rather just remove the per-style BBCode templates since they are almost never used and move all BBCodes to the database. Of course, some people would complain that it breaks their workflow.
I think that's the obvious goal here. Styles shouldn't have and also shouldn't need to define their own iteration of standard BBCodes.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Marc & JoshyPHP.

The intent was separation of concerns to remove all html from the core and provide the user the ability to add classes/js hooks. I would leave it in the template as its better suited there. Plus if html ever changes then it can be easily updated in the correct place where it makes the most sense to find html.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager

Post by Crizzo »

hanakin wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:49 pm
cabot wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:29 am Not only outside of a post but everywhere those BBcodes are used, even in a post.
Except for a style which inherit the parent bbcode.html file.

This is bold text in span as declared in bbcode.php, not text in strong tag as it would be according to bbcode.html.
noted but again this is an error with bbcode.php which does need work re-factoring. Its not loading the template file which it should in all cases. That entire function that has html in it needs removed and factored out.
Yes, that is correct. We should rebuild this file and remove those hard-coded template things. Unless there is a good reason to keep it, which I don't know at the moment.

Mazeltof

Post by Mazeltof »

Hi all
What's news about this?
The problem is always present for bold BBcode in forums description on inherited styles of prosilver with phpBB 3.2.0

Galixte

Post by Galixte »

Hi,
Mazeltof wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:24 pm Hi all
What's news about this?
The problem is always present for bold BBcode in forums description on inherited styles of prosilver with phpBB 3.2.0
Same situation on phpBB 3.2.1, even with this PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4749. :roll:
Marc wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:03 pm
JoshyPHP wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:25 pm The template loader works fine, prosilver's template bitfield indicates that the default template should be used for bold, italic and a few others. I don't know why there's a bold template in bbcode.html, it could be the remnant of a previous iteration or it may serve as an example for other styles that want to replace those default templates.

I think that's the obvious goal here. Styles shouldn't have and also shouldn't need to define their own iteration of standard BBCodes.
Is there any re-factoring planed to fix this issue on phpBB 3.3.x?
Communau EzCom
📖 « Traductions d’extensions & styles pour phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x ».
📋 Lists of all extensions identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.