PHPBB3-14227 - Trim topic titles so it wont messup the layout

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Dragosvr92

Re: PHPBB3-14227 - Trim topic titles so it wont messup the layout

Post by Dragosvr92 »

hanakin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:54 pm just it you do not. That theme uses tables(which is an un-semantic crutch) to achieve its look which is why it appears cleaner to you. Its also not responsive which is where the real curveball comes from
I didnt look at its source-code. I havent used the style.
The same layout can be created with pure css. I see they do that on vBulletin. It is not responsive as it is a 3.0 style.
The point was that it looks cleaner that way, and it is possible with a small template edit and some css values.
Previous user: TheKiller

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

its not possible with "simple edits" to the html/css as the organization, structure and practices used in prosilver over complicate it. Even the smallest change ripples so it requires a lot more fore thought and re-working when it comes to handling things especially when it comes to the responsiveness and the ways its achieved in prosilver.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Ok so to me this idea of trimming topic titles seemed like a terrible idea from the start but thought that maybe I'm just not being open to it, so I took a look at two of the biggest forum providers out there and here's what they do:
vBulletin on mobile
vBulletin on mobile
vBulletin slightly bigger
vBulletin slightly bigger
Beautiful?
Beautiful?
Xenforo on mobile
Xenforo on mobile
Xenforo slightly bigger
Xenforo slightly bigger
Which looks to be basically nothing. They don't trim topic titles. To me the topic title is likely one of the most vital pieces of information when viewing a list of topics and I think those guys agree as well.

Maybe things could be re-arranged or styling could be changed a bit, or maybe there's really nothing that needs to be done. Topic rows are supposed to expand when the topic title is longer, that's just how it's supposed to be and that's pretty much what everyone is expecting to happen as well.

Dragosvr92

Re: PHPBB3-14227 - Provide more space for topic titles so it wont messup the topicrow

Post by Dragosvr92 »

hanakin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:20 pm its not possible with "simple edits" to the html/css as the organization, structure and practices used in prosilver over complicate it. Even the smallest change ripples so it requires a lot more fore thought and re-working when it comes to handling things especially when it comes to the responsiveness and the ways its achieved in prosilver.
Okay, so i take it back, it is not as simple.
Well, i guess the simpleness would be relative for people. There are designers that would know how the style works and what to change.

@DavidIQ, The reason i suggested to trim the titles was to match the title in the available space, because it looks messed up being squeezed into that tiny place.

I later on suggested that if we are against trimming( which i now see that trimming wasnt the best solution), then we should just make more space, by removing the Replies, Views columns.

As you said, "the topic title is likely one of the most vital pieces of information when viewing a list of topics ".
The titles are more important than the Replies,Views statistics. Some of their space should be given to the topic-title-column imo.
In all of those screenshots you posted, the topic-title column has much more available space to hold its title in a nice-cleand and comfy way.

phpbb provides more title characters that it can hold in the available space it has. It should just provide more space to the topic-titles.
The way Xenforo did it looks fine to me, with the statistics into the same column. But the we_clearblue seems to do it better.

Main-point/problem: The topic-title column keeps shrinking and resizing while the Replies, Views, Last post columns stay fixed, when they shouldnt as the title is more relevant than these statistics. They should be responsive around the title, not the other way around.

I think this discussion becomes stressing for all of us, so, if no one has anything else to add, and think there is a need for change, ill get a break.
Previous user: TheKiller