[RFC] Extension to fall back to en lang

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: [RFC] Extension to fall back to en lang

Post by Nicofuma »

Please edit the first post to include the link and reflect what was said in the discussion
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Uhmmm, huh? :?

Edit the first post of the ticket ( :?: ) and if so adding the link is no problem but you want me to quote everything that was said in this topic?

Can't someone just simply click the link added and read the topic? I am not a fan of "re-creating the wheel" so to speak.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

It's Not quoting everything, it's writing and maintaining an actual summary so you don't have to read everything without posting (because people don't read everything, never)
No Support via PM

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Nicofuma wrote:It's Not quoting everything, it's writing and maintaining an actual summary so you don't have to read everything without posting (because people don't read everything, never)
Why does one need to post to read everything? I am still not sure on what it is you are requesting. "Maintaining" connotes that updating of this "summary" will be required. If a summary of an entire topic is going to be requested for each ticket in JIRA then I will humbly bow out of creating tickets. I have enough things to do other than enabling people who are to lazy to read topics.

PS I read everything prior to posting about anything. Guess I am an exception.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Maintaining meens adding all important information to the first post instead of keeping a first which doesn't say anything. And in most case you don't have to do anything unless he first post was just an open question (which shouldn't be posted on JIRA...).

For example, with a topic like viewtopic.php?f=126&t=44467 if you don't have a summary at some point it's just impossible to follow.

Edit: Actually I'm not asking for something huge, just the key points please (why, how, when). Because if you don't implement it yourself then it doesn't encourage people to do it for you
No Support via PM

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I had the impression that this was already implemented with extensions.... It should have been implemented from 3.0 !

It makes the Extension system not as great as i thought it was because not all Extensions are translated to Every possible language.
I dont think Language inheritance for Extensions would be too hard to implement.

Language packs are meant only to translate the phpbb Core. If they fail to do that because we are missing the language files for an extension, then this appears to be a major bug in my opinion. I dont suppose we can have this added fast, in 3.1.14 or 3.1.15 ?
Previous user: TheKiller

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »