[RFC] Ability to @mention specific users in posts

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
diego898

Re: [RFC] Ability to @mention specific users in posts

Post by diego898 »

what is the next step in the process to make this an official feature request?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Well, the RFC seems to have a general positive consensus, so next step would be to create a ticket in the tracker, and then someone has to make a patch for it.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

diego898

Post by diego898 »

Is there some documentation on how to correctly fill out the tracker? For example, Priority? Components? Enviroment? Template to paste inside that includes the link to this RFC?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

diego898 wrote:Is there some documentation on how to correctly fill out the tracker? For example, Priority? Components? Enviroment? Template to paste inside that includes the link to this RFC?
Not really. Priority for this would probably be minor. Component would be Posting. Environment is not applicable in this case (that's more for bug reports). I'm not sure what fields regular users can see, but if you see the fields for affected/fix versions, the affected version would be 3.1-dev and the fix version would be 3.1-A1.

As for what to put into the main box, just describe the issue and include a link to the RFC. Because the RFC is fairly detailed, the ticket doesn't necessarily need too much more than a basic description of the feature.

If you aren't sure about something, you can leave it blank and a team member can fix it later. :)
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I've already started having a look at this.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Maybe its been mentioned, but Im lazy about searching 9 pages...

But, it'd be nice if it worked like on Github, that is, use Ajax, and as soon as you type @ plus a letter immediately following it, start searching usernames of members who have posted in the current topic, and presenting an in-line drop-down list of matching users, and clicking the username auto-fills it in the rest of the way...kind of like an Auto-Complete jQuery function. That always makes typing in the name foolproof, and we know how strange usernames can sometimes get
Has an irascible disposition.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

VSE+ wrote:Maybe its been mentioned, but Im lazy about searching 9 pages...

But, it'd be nice if it worked like on Github, that is, use Ajax, and as soon as you type @ plus a letter immediately following it, start searching usernames of members who have posted in the current topic, and presenting an in-line drop-down list of matching users, and clicking the username auto-fills it in the rest of the way...kind of like an Auto-Complete jQuery function. That always makes typing in the name foolproof, and we know how strange usernames can sometimes get
One thing at a time. ;)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

diego898

Post by diego898 »

so should I open a ticket for this item or leave-as-is?

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

MichaelC wrote:
VSE+ wrote:Maybe its been mentioned, but Im lazy about searching 9 pages...

One thing at a time. ;)
Here's a jQuery plugin to do it...just need to make the PHP script that gathers all the topic usernames as a json array: http://www.hawkee.com/snippet/9391/
Has an irascible disposition.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

You wouldn't necessarily want to limit it to users who've already posted in a topic. I use this feature to pull others into topics related to their expertise about as often as I mention a username by someone who has already posted in a topic. Some sort of search script for usernames would need to be used.