PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Post Reply
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by keith10456 »

Mess wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:Either way a large number of admins don't want wysisyg
Cool, I didn't know there where statistics to prove you're opinion. Mind sharing how you counted the large number of admins?
On this point I agree... Saying a large number of admins don't want wysiwyg is a tuff cookie to swallow :) Personally speaking, if the wysiwyg editor supports our (phpbb community) current crop of bbcodes, for the most part (appropriate security, etc) I'm all for it.
User avatar
JoshyPHP
Registered User
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Technically it's reasonable to assume that everybody would want a WYSIWYG editor. What people don't want is a slow or overly complicated editor. If there was a way to have a fast, uncluttered editor that is actually WYSIWYG, anybody in their right mind would want that.
User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Are you saying that there *aren't* a large number of admins that don't like wysiwyg or are you just mad because you want it and I pointed that out? :roll:

Just because you're for one doesn't mean everyone is. What happened to logic, reason and common sense?
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:
User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Master_Cylinder »

JoshyPHP wrote:Technically it's reasonable to assume that everybody would want a WYSIWYG editor. What people don't want is a slow or overly complicated editor. If there was a way to have a fast, uncluttered editor that is actually WYSIWYG, anybody in their right mind would want that.
wysiwyg has never been that and that's why many are against it.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:
User avatar
JoshyPHP
Registered User
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by JoshyPHP »

People dislike the editors they've been forced to use, but they are not against the concept of "WYSIWYG". Don't shoot down the idea of having a WYSIWYG in phpBB because of past editors. Modern editors (and especially modern browsers) have gotten much better. I'm still not a big fan of them and I generally find Markdown to be faster as far as I'm concerned, but the concept is obviously good.
User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I disagree and I think it's *unreasonable* to assume everyone would want a wysisyg editor since not "everyone" wants one now. There are places where wysiwyg makes sense, like word processors but most forum posts are simple text and maybe a little bold/underline/etc. so it's really not needed except in a few exceptions. As you point out, what we have is generally faster and would be less bloated. Speculating on how a hypothetical editor might be received is superfluous.

I'm not against YOU having a wysiwyg editor if you want/need one, I'm against forcing it on *everyone* including those that don't want it. That's why I think it should be an official extension not part of the core.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by keith10456 »

@ Master_Cylinder - Are you against the current phpBB editor? If not, I don't get your logic because a wysiwyg editor is a more user-friendly version of the phpbb editor (technical back-end aside).
User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Pony99CA »

I presume the following two things are true:

1. Admins would be able to disable use of the WYSIWYG editor if they wanted to.
2. Users would be able to set their choice of editor (current or WYSIWYG) in the UCP -- and switch between them while posting.

If those two presumptions are correct, then there's really no reason not to have a WYSIWYG editor in the core -- or at least the architecture for WYSIWYG plug-ins to allow the admin to choose which editor they like.

If those presumptions are not true, what's incorrect about them?

Finally, remember that this feature isn't so much about admins as it is about users. Many users don't get BBCode (not that it's rocket science) and want a WYSIWYG editor to make formatting their posts easier.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Master_Cylinder »

keith10456 wrote:@ Master_Cylinder - Are you against the current phpBB editor? If not, I don't get your logic because a wysiwyg editor is a more user-friendly version of the phpbb editor (technical back-end aside).
Since I've said repeatedly that I prefer the current editor it'd be hard to be against it. I don't find the current editor difficult...in fact it's easier and less complicated.

Pony99CA wrote:I presume the following two things are true:

1. Admins would be able to disable use of the WYSIWYG editor if they wanted to.
2. Users would be able to set their choice of editor (current or WYSIWYG) in the UCP -- and switch between them while posting.

If those two presumptions are correct, then there's really no reason not to have a WYSIWYG editor in the core -- or at least the architecture for WYSIWYG plug-ins to allow the admin to choose which editor they like.

If those presumptions are not true, what's incorrect about them?

Finally, remember that this feature isn't so much about admins as it is about users. Many users don't get BBCode (not that it's rocket science) and want a WYSIWYG editor to make formatting their posts easier.

Steve
1) That's what we've been told, that we could disable it and use the current editor.
2) Hopefully not if the admin disables it.

The reason *not* to have it is to avoid the bloat for admins that don't want it. Just like how they don't include every language/style in the core even though the admin may only enable one. As admin, *I* decide what the users can do/use. I don't cater to the lowest common denominator and if users can learn wysiwyg they can learn the current editor that we've had for years. There's even a FAQ. :D
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:
User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by DavidIQ »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
keith10456 wrote:@ Master_Cylinder - Are you against the current phpBB editor? If not, I don't get your logic because a wysiwyg editor is a more user-friendly version of the phpbb editor (technical back-end aside).
Since I've said repeatedly that I prefer the current editor it'd be hard to be against it. I don't find the current editor difficult...in fact it's easier and less complicated.
I think you're overlooking the non-technical crowd in all of this discussion. Sure it's easy for you as you know what you're doing but (not being offensive) what about one of your parents or grandparents? Would they be able to figure out all of that "fangled BBCode stuff" and add color, bold, italics, quotations, etc. to text? There are many people out there that don't. Being able to do it easily and seeing the result of what you're doing would help those non-technical folk.
Image
Post Reply