PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
brunoais

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by brunoais »

@JoshyPHP
For me, I'm holding back the integration because, as a "plug", there are plug slots that fit directly to your parser. Not in a way that it is compatible ONLY to your parser but it helps a lot that it is.
I've been working on a plan that has been refined. As it is now, it has 3 major changes:
  1. Default editor
  2. "plugs" and adapters to integrate and add some API to manipulate the editor (minor partly done, still, mostly only schematic on my computer and my head)
  3. Changes to the ACP UI including adding an additional checkbox'es and an additional textarea to allow better customization on how a BBCode is rendered in the editor.
The whole idea here is not to make an RTE like most forum systems have, the idea is to allow having a complete WYSIWYG editor while allowing it to be leaned to RTE for things that are too hard to keep WYSIWYG like the spoiler tag.
When I mention "lean" is not not rendering at all, it is, however, to render it differently but very closely to the real thing. For example, for the spoiler tag, it could be a spoiler tag that does not close or a spoiler tag that opens when selected and closes when the caret is outside the spoiler. All personalized up to the HTML + CSS + js power, ofc, with the help of Joshy's parser.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

I don't understand what you mean about "plug slots". My library has plugins to parse different kind of markup, but it's not really related to RTE.
brunoais wrote:The whole idea here is not to make an RTE like most forum systems have
Mission accomplished then. :? I don't know... this thread is 3 years old so I would have preferred to see a basic RTE scheduled for 3.1. As long as you don't try to render custom BBCodes, a RTE is purely a front end thing. Even the preference for choosing between RTE and textarea could be saved in a cookie.

The upside is that since it's a front end thing, people who want a RTE can edit their templates and add it I guess.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I mean the do same job as drivers do. They are a translation translate a general concept to the specific concept for that specific hardware. They work like an interface in Java or PHP. As long as it follows that interface, they have the same "plug" even though what happens on the inside can be very different.

This is meant for phpBB 3.2. It will require a whole lot of testing and iterations. I should be able to give a nice amount of time to develop it in my summer holidays. Until then, only some tweaks here and there and some adjustments here and there.

dydy

Post by dydy »

I reacently come across Froala WYSIWYG Editor http://editor.froala.com and it's very slick. It is a lightweight editor, simple, but also complete, easy to customize, good looking, the first tool of its kind with full mobile support, having image resize even on mobile devices, easy to integrate and well documented.

I've already started using it on my blog (it's free for non-commercial projects) and I like it more than any onther WYSIWYG editor.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

@dydy
3 things.
1º: It's license is from CreativeCommons. Creative commons is not compatible with GNU General Public License that phpBB uses. The CC licence he is using is definitely not even adaptable to phpBB.
2º: Are you sure that that editor is better than CKEditor? It actually looks (at first sight) worse than CKE.
3º: Where's the BBCode plugin?

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I think plain quick reply is better than any of those wysiwyg editors. Don't forget the off switch... ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

We'll see...

If the switch off means that also the current buttons become unavailable, then I'm ok. I'm just completely not into support 2 ways of inserting BBCode into a response.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

If by two ways you mean with and without the WYSIWYG editor then that is really a requirement to work both ways. Mobile devices having to load something like this would be an issue in some cases and while it's fine that the forum looks less "modern" for some older browsers it is not ok to completely break the site and prevent posting for them.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

He wants to force everyone to use his editor and hope we'll just get used to it and give up. There NEEDS to be an off switch because many don't want/like wysiwyg at all and we shouldn't need an extension to rip it out. It SHOULD be an extension to put it in. Just let the admins choose, instead of the guy making the editor, that's not too much to ask.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Of course you will not be required to use a wysiwyg editor.

We will not be leaving this up to extensions. Each WYSIWYG editor handles things very differently and many simply do not parse things the same as the phpBB BBCode parser, so if you were to use CKEditor and try to make a post in phpBB, it may not look at all the same after submitting it. We will be using an editor that parses bbcode the same so posts look the same when using it or after submitting the post.