PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Frug

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Frug »

DavidIQ wrote:We aren't going with CKEditor, I think you can figure that out from reading through this topic, so there's really nothing to argue here. ;-)
I know, I already posted that I liked the choice that was agreed on. I was commenting only on the conclusion that buttons working in source view are not valuable. I guess I was derailing.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Those who want to use ckeditor or another editor should put their efforts toward coming up with an interface between wysiwyg editor and the rest of phpbb which would allow plugging in different client side implementations of the editor.

Can someone summarize the current custom bbcode situation with respect to any/all of the editors being considered?

Oleg

Re: [RFC] WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Oleg »

wGEric wrote:Why not make it modular so that board owners or users can choose which editor they want to use?
EXreaction wrote:I had thought the same originally as well, but there is a potential for a bit of a problem when allowing that:
With people using different WYSIWYG editors, if not all of them work correctly and parse text the same as the bbcode engine in phpBB, users will be confused when their post looks different after submitting than it did in the editor.
If bbcode and the resulting server side rendering is taken as authoritative, a wysiwyg editor that renders the post differently would be considered buggy.

If none of the wysiwyg editors are able to render the post the same way server side renders it, having different editors render the post differently (all of them being incorrect) does not seem like a significant problem.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

SCEditor either does parse it as phpBB does or the two will be made to parse the same through implementing this and the new bbcode engine.

I know for a fact that CKEditor does not render bbcode the same and produces malformed bbcode in some situations.

If someone really wants to use a different editor for whatever reason, all they will need to do is remove the javascript that loads SCEditor and add some javascript to load CKEditor, but they will have to deal with the problems CKEditor has themselves.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Is it safe to assume that a WYSIWYG editor is going to make it into 3.1?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Nope.
It's not even safe that the new BBcode parser is going to make into phpBB 3.1 :D.

If all goes smoooothly then I'll be working on this during next summer, after the BBcode parser is complete.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

brunoais wrote:Nope.
It's not even safe that the new BBcode parser is going to make into phpBB 3.1 :D.

If all goes smoooothly then I'll be working on this during next summer, after the BBcode parser is complete.
That's sad news...

"Next summer" being this coming summer or summer 2014? I'm assuming you were referring to this coming summer ('13).

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

The summer of 2013.

Weskey

Post by Weskey »

I was taking a look at other options and found the Redactor is a lightweight, very flexible, works perfectly on mobile devices, accepted bbcode, save drafts using html5 resources, including XenForo started to use it, I think it would be great, at least take a look to see if it fits the requirements.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

All I see is "Buy Redactor". I'm assuming this is probably not GPL compatible.