PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] WYSIWYG Editor

Post by callumacrae »

I disagree with defaulting to the source view. I'm thinking of using cookies do that if a user changes it to source view, it is still in source view next time is opened. There will also be a UCP option to disable it entirely.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I think it should be made with default that should be changeable in the UCP.
If the user prefers one mode he can change in the UCP, if he prefers another mode, also change in the UCP.

Another thing, CKEditor is moderately heavy. It should only be loaded if the user wants to.
E.g. Going to the posting page, pressing the quick reply button, etc...

wiktor

Post by wiktor »

Just wanted to propose something, not sure how similar it is to the results of the conversation in IRC.

Default state:
phpbb_ckeditor_off.png
(25.33 KiB) Downloaded 2491 times
After clicking on the "Enable rich-text editor" link:
phpbb_ckeditor_on.png
(27.34 KiB) Downloaded 2491 times
Some thoughts (just my personal opinion):
  • the initial integration may have some bugs, thus the default state is disabled, the only change in the interface is a gentle link below the textarea
  • some people don't like to be forced to use something new, so another vote for disabling by default
  • once users get used to the editor and will not report any major issues, the default mode can be changed
  • CKEditor needs a cool plugin to edit and insert source code (

Code: Select all

) (in progress)
    [*]The "Source" mode in CKEditor and removing CKEditor from a textarea (calling editor.destroy()) are two different things. Being in "Source" mode means that we are still in CKEditor. In case of a bug with processing BBCodes a safer option would be to have this opportunity to "destroy" CKEditor instance and get back to plain textarea (CKEditor can be enabled later - basically destroying would work like in the [url=http://nightly.ckeditor.com/demo/ajax.html]ajax sample[/url]).[/list]

The ugly link below editor/textarea can be of course changed into e.g. more fancy tabs.
CTO, CKSource
http://ckeditor.com/

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

callumacrae wrote:I disagree with defaulting to the source view. I'm thinking of using cookies do that if a user changes it to source view, it is still in source view next time is opened. There will also be a UCP option to disable it entirely.
I disagree. Sometimes when on forums that have a rich editor, I write the post in source and then preview it in the rich editor and then post it without going back to source (no need). The next time I go to post I don't want to have to (again) click the source link.

So, imo, default to disabled when the feature is added. Then in UCP have an option whether to use it or not. On posting provide a way to switch between rich and source editors, but don't change default option when switch is done during posting.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

imkingdavid wrote:So, imo, default to disabled when the feature is added. Then in UCP have an option whether to use it or not. On posting provide a way to switch between rich and source editors, but don't change default option when switch is done during posting.
+1

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

brunoais wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:So, imo, default to disabled when the feature is added. Then in UCP have an option whether to use it or not. On posting provide a way to switch between rich and source editors, but don't change default option when switch is done during posting.
+1
+1

This is not a yes/no question however. Users should be able to pick their editor from a list.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

bantu wrote:This is not a yes/no question however. Users should be able to pick their editor from a list.
Oh, I thought we were only looking into CKEditor. But I'm all for making it modular and allowing multiple options.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

imkingdavid wrote:
bantu wrote:This is not a yes/no question however. Users should be able to pick their editor from a list.
Oh, I thought we were only looking into CKEditor. But I'm all for making it modular and allowing multiple options.
Ckeditor is almost fully configurable through config.js.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Maybe even introduce it as a plugin system like the way CAPTCHA's and Authentication is done?

Then the plugin system can be added in 3.1 and then for 3.2 add CKEditor as a plugin added by default like reCAPTCHA is for as a CAPTCHA?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Just some food for thought here...

How about, instead of trying to put in a WYSIWYG, do something like we see over on github - have a live preview button that will turn your post-box into a preview, using ajax and stuff so there is no reloading. And you can quickly bounce back and forth between Write and Preview modes if needed. Seems like a much easier task to implement than a WYSIWYG.
Has an irascible disposition.