PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by DavidIQ »

juliokr wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 4:30 pm There is a WYSIWYG editor Extension https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2322921 who works very well (even in phpbb 3.2) would it be so difficult to do the same thing just as a standard feature ?
Same problem. It doesn't support custom BBCodes.

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 4:32 pm
juliokr wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 4:30 pm There is a WYSIWYG editor Extension https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2322921 who works very well (even in phpbb 3.2) would it be so difficult to do the same thing just as a standard feature ?
Same problem. It doesn't support custom BBCodes.
I don't know if there are so much boards who uses custom BBCodes ?
But would't make more sense to propose WYSIWYG for "standard BBCodes" which could be "switched on/off" in ACP and the guys who absolutely needs custom BBCodes develop extensions for this ?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'm the one that gave most implementation code to phpBB's WYSIWYG editor project.

@DavidIQ . I can tell you. My implementation works with all BBCode I was able to put my hands on, both custom and included. The only BBCode I'm completely unable to cope with, which is also what lead me to enter in this state I am now, is the [quote] BBCode.

If someone is able to get me an algorithm that works correctly to process the [quote] BBCode, my code can probably be directly used without significant changes. Even if changes are required, they should be quite slim. And for those, I should get the time needed to make them work.

david63

Post by david63 »

There is a valid argument that says it should be an extension then those who want it can have it and those who don't won't have it.

To put it in the core, as an option, will only serve to inflate the core.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

david63 wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 6:18 pm There is a valid argument that says it should be an extension then those who want it can have it and those who don't won't have it.

To put it in the core, as an option, will only serve to inflate the core.
So it would be also a valid argument that most of boards don't need hundreds of different permissions (read only, read and write and admin just for admins would be enough most of the boards) so be logic ...

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

The problem with WYSIWYG integration into the core is that as far as I can tell, there is no released WYSIWYG editor currently out there which could be easily extended in a way that it would support custom BBCodes (and when a WYSIWYG editor will be integrated into the core it must support all functionality that the core has).

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I advice any of you to find an algorithm to parse the quote tags in what they are unique and hardcoded in phpBB's source code. Once you find that, it should become ready for proper testing as it should have loads of errors I forgot during development.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

brunoais wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 4:56 pm I'm the one that gave most implementation code to phpBB's WYSIWYG editor project.

@DavidIQ . I can tell you. My implementation works with all BBCode I was able to put my hands on, both custom and included. The only BBCode I'm completely unable to cope with, which is also what lead me to enter in this state I am now, is the [quote] BBCode.

If someone is able to get me an algorithm that works correctly to process the [quote] BBCode, my code can probably be directly used without significant changes. Even if changes are required, they should be quite slim. And for those, I should get the time needed to make them work.
Out of interest, since how long are you aware of that?
Did you already put this card on the table before?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Ger

Post by Ger »

3Di wrote: Mon May 02, 2016 10:43 pm
brunoais wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 4:56 pm I'm the one that gave most implementation code to phpBB's WYSIWYG editor project.

Out of interest, since how long are you aware of that?
Did you already put this card on the table before?
Just a few pages back in this topic
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Thanks, I didn't dare to explore about 400 replies this time. ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades