PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
CarpCharacin

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by CarpCharacin »

I think that a WYSIWYG editor should be added to the final release of 3.2. either CKEDITOR or SCEDITOR.

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

CarpCharacin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:20 pm I think that a WYSIWYG editor should be added to the final release of 3.2. either CKEDITOR or SCEDITOR.
That's not going to happen. This is because phpBB 3.2 is already at a Release Candidate stage, which means that no features are going to be added to it anymore and only bugs will be fixed before the final releases. New features will only be accepted into phpBB 3.3. There has been a lot of discussion in this topic, but ultimately somebody must have the time, motivation and ability to create this feature before it can be added. :)
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'm now having an internal discussion between CKE and SCE.
If I go with SCE, I risk lack of support and bugfixes like it has been for too long and its single main developer has been having a too busy life.
If I go with CKE, I'll have to make a couple plugins to make it decent for phpBB.
As a praise to CKE, it is now much lighter than it had been back in 2013 when this WYSIWYG editor project started.

Regardless of those, I'm now very busy and will be for the next 4 months or so. If someone wants to work with me on this just call me in. Otherwise, wait for my next available time and I'll work on it for real.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

I use SCE.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Suggesting to leave all of this to an extension instead of discussing it forever.

The main reason, anyway, it is to preserve the core code to be overloaded with something that IMO isn't a priority.

In any case, as elsewhere already stated, phpBB 3.2.x it is features frozen.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

brunoais wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:22 pm Regardless of those, I'm now very busy and will be for the next 4 months or so. If someone wants to work with me on this just call me in. Otherwise, wait for my next available time and I'll work on it for real.
Thanks for taking the time to work on this anyway. I'm sure we can all appreciate that everybody has busy schedules. :)
This is an often requested feature and I think it would be good to have it either available in the core or as an extension, so thanks.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Thanks.
But I still could REALLY use some good help with the [ quote] tag. I'm still lost in how can I make that work with the WYSIWYG editor...
Otherwise... Well.... I'll have to reduce functionality of that tag in the editor.

I'll do a reaudit onto CKE and SCE once more. CKE changed a lot to better and SCE changed too little. If SCE becomes near-abandoned again, as much as I like it and its main dev, I think I better get CKE on phpBB.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

brunoais wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:30 pm Thanks.
But I still could REALLY use some good help with the [ quote] tag. I'm still lost in how can I make that work with the WYSIWYG editor...
Otherwise... Well.... I'll have to reduce functionality of that tag in the editor.

I'll do a reaudit onto CKE and SCE once more. CKE changed a lot to better and SCE changed too little. If SCE becomes near-abandoned again, as much as I like it and its main dev, I think I better get CKE on phpBB.
If you make an extension tor CKE on phpbb, can you release it? I am using SCE on phpbb right now.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

That would be the idea...

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

JimA wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:18 am
CarpCharacin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:20 pm I think that a WYSIWYG editor should be added to the final release of 3.2. either CKEDITOR or SCEDITOR.
That's not going to happen. This is because phpBB 3.2 is already at a Release Candidate stage, which means that no features are going to be added to it anymore and only bugs will be fixed before the final releases. New features will only be accepted into phpBB 3.3. There has been a lot of discussion in this topic, but ultimately somebody must have the time, motivation and ability to create this feature before it can be added. :)
Can the 3.3 dev version be downloaded anywhere? Is it on github? If I create a 3.3 dev board and figure out how to integrate a WYSIWYG, could I do a pull request or something and then it could possibly get added? I am using an extension for SCEditor and it isn't working out the best with bbcodes. I like SCEditor more than CKEditor so if I set up a dev board, I will try to integrate SCE. It is also responsive and it supports custom bbcodes.