PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Master_Cylinder

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Master_Cylinder »

EXreaction wrote:Of course you will not be required to use a wysiwyg editor.
Well that's good news, much better than we'll see or maybe later. ;)
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

EXreaction wrote:We will be using an editor that parses bbcode the same so posts look the same when using it or after submitting the post.
Can you expand a little bit on that please? Taken literally, this statement is guaranteed to be incorrect as no editor will ever match phpBB's rendering in 100% of the cases. (especially because of custom BBCodes)

That's why in my opinion phpBB should go with whatever RTE(s) handle a core set of BBCodes satisfactorily and accept that the more advanced features need to be previewed the old fashioned way. As I mentionned earlier in this thread, even XenForo doesn't handle their own quote tags in RTE mode.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Of course we can't guarantee that it will be exactly the same in 100% of cases, however we will use something that does appear to parse things the same way as our engine and fix any inconsistencies as we find them.

Octopus2

Post by Octopus2 »

@ brunoais: Do you know the state in the development of sceditors? If I look at github I can´t see any delevopment in the last 4-6 months. Has the project been discontinued?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

For the editor I'm expecting to use (SCE).
Even though it is a WYSIWYG editor, it has a source code mode that works as well as phpBB's current editor.
One of the feature additions that are in the works (if the owner didn't abandon it without warning) allows using SCE as an RTE instead of a WYSIWYG editor (with what I planned,

@Octopus2
The project is not officially discontinued unless the owner has died or something like that. I'm willing to wait until summer holidays to try to get some feedback from him. If I get nothing for a year... I'll try to get a consensus with everyone who has commit rights on that repo on what to do about SCE.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I'd prefer it if the same basic plain editor was kept, the only change made is when adding URL links and IMG Images a pop up box was used for both to insert an address for the link/name e.t.c. Bar you manually having to add links in BBCode, the editor is fine and doesn't suffer from the same problem associated with WYSIWYG editors with it being a plain text one.

Master_Cylinder

brunoais wrote:For the editor I'm expecting to use (SCE).
Even though it is a WYSIWYG editor, it has a source code mode that works as well as phpBB's current editor.
mrgtb wrote:I'd prefer it if the same basic plain editor was kept, the only change made is when adding URL links and IMG Images a pop up box was used for both to insert an address for the link/name e.t.c. Bar you manually having to add links in BBCode, the editor is fine and doesn't suffer from the same problem associated with WYSIWYG editors with it being a plain text one.
I'd prefer the existing editor too; "source code mode" would still mean supporting the wysisyg mode as well and I just don't want it on my forums at all.
These kids today...

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

It is possible to disable the WYSIWYG out of SCE:
http://www.sceditor.com/documentation/options/
locate:
runWithoutWysiwygSupport

Sounds like that does what you want, @Master_Cylinder.

Master_Cylinder

What I want is the editor we have...why try to push sce on those that don't want it?
These kids today...

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Again, it will be enabled by default, but optional.