PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
CarpCharacin

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by CarpCharacin »

JoshyPHP wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:51 am I think it's better to create an attainable goal rather than set up a moonshot. Having a basic, usable RTE soon would benefit the users more than having a very complicated RTE at some indeterminate point in the future.

Plus, reaching small manageable goals feels rewarding and motivates people to go forward to bigger things. Big, seemingly unattainable goals can demotivate and lead to burnout.
I agree.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

We already have that in the SCE extension. There's no need to have it in the core for something as limited as that.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

For a second I forgot that it was pointless to post in this thread. Thanks for reminding me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I don't get what you mean by that. What's pointless about this topic?

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I am reading those lines (and having this topic in its whole read, believe it or not) as that's pointless to POST in this topic, not that there is something pointless in this TOPIC.

See also: It seems that you got burried into a location/idea you are not able do get out from there. So to speak.

But I could be completely wrong and it's not the first time.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

brunoais wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:13 pm We already have that in the SCE extension. There's no need to have it in the core for something as limited as that.
What makes the extension so limited?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

An extension can easily have access to the BBCode definitions in the database and it can easily change all phpBB pages.
Unfortunately, the definition format used in the database is complicated to process without well-thought code. As most extension coders are not particularly good with programming itself. Heck! Some are not even programmers and try to help! It's really hard to use that data.

On the other side, there's the job of placing a pre-configured editor (just dropping in some .js and .css files). That almost anyone can do and any extension can easily do. There's no reason to put that in the core as it has no noticeable performance impact, requires no configuration and anyone can do their own flavor.

As for the PR related to this topic; IIRC the only thing that is currently blocking is the quote tag due to it's dynamic personalized nature.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

An issue with the extension is that that the quote tags don't show the arrow back to the post in 3.2. I am definitely not a programmer and I don't think I am capable of doing an advanced integration, so I will leave it to someone who can. I like SCE, but the icons should be replaced with SVGs if it is integrated in 3.3.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

I think that a basic integration is better than no integration at all. I think that CKEditor is better than SCEditor.

Qiaeru

Post by Qiaeru »

Just for information, there is a new popular WYSIWYG text editor, pell. No dependencies and only 1kB.