PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
brunoais

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by brunoais »

Not only that, the BBCode plugin (from what I understood) is the same kind as SKE, including no source code mode with buttons working.

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

EXreaction wrote:All I see is "Buy Redactor". I'm assuming this is probably not GPL compatible.
From the pieces below it sounds like you can't fork Redactor which could be an issue. Probably better to steer clear.
http://imperavi.com/redactor/license/ wrote: ...

Permitted Use

The OEM License: Holders of the OEM License may use the Software as if they had the Corporate/Business license. In addition OEM License holder’s clients are allowed to develop their own products based on or containing Redactor. License holder’s clients do not have to obtain their own Developer licenses. However, neither license holder nor license holder’s clients can sell Redactor as a sole product (with or without modification); License holder and license holder’s clients should use it fairly; we still hold all the rights for Redactor’s code, and we solely determine “fair use” of Redactor. The OEM License holders may expect priority response to their support requests and the highest quality of service and support, including but not limited to: priority bug fixes in the Software, help with installation of the Software, reasonable customization, phone, Skype or other live consultations, etc. The OEM License is limited to one year from the date of purchase.

Restrictions
Unless you have been granted prior, written consent from Imperavi, you may not:
  • Reproduce, distribute, or transfer the Software as a sole product, or portions thereof, to any third party.
  • Sell, rent, lease, assign, or sublet the Software as a sole product or portions thereof.
  • Grant rights to any other person.
  • Use the software in violation of any Canadian or international laws or regulations.

Making Copies
You may make copies of the Software for back-up purposes, provided that you reproduce the Software in its original form and with all proprietary notices on the back-up copy. You may include copies of the Software as an integral part of your product (according to Permitted Use stated above).

Software Modification
You may alter, modify, or extend the Software for your own use or for use in as an integral part of your product or service, or commission a third-party to perform modifications for you, but you may not resell, redistribute or transfer the modified or derivative version of the Software as a sole product without prior written consent from Imperavi. Components from the Software may not be extracted and used in other programs without prior written consent from Imperavi.
Edit: just found this
http://imperavi.com/redactor/faq/#q4 wrote:Can I use Redactor in my project, which is published under GPL, MIT, BSD, or other open-source/copyleft license?
Yes, go ahead! You just need to purchase the OEM license. No additional fees will be applied and there are no special terms or conditions, until Redactor is properly "linked" in your software.

However, keep in mind that Redactor is not an open-source product. It is proprietary commercial copyrighted software and we do not allow it's distribution under any open-source licenses. Think about Redactor as if it was a paid proprietary extension for your project.
So it would have to be something that if someone forks phpBB it couldn't include the Redactor code.
Eric

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Excuse my ignorance, but why can't we stick with what we currently have? What is it that needs/HAS to be changed exactly?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

The problem is that many forum users don't really like the idea that they can't see the outcome of what they are writing and being able to edit directly in the outcome they want.

They want the word/libreoffice/openoffice look and feel when they are writing a post... WYSIWYG plugins have been very popular recently so... We are just left with that option as there's no real reason not to have it.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Many as in? I've never heard anyone complain about the composing process and/or request a wysiwyg editor in any forum I'm involved with...

Bloat could be a reason? Overhead perhaps? I'd imagine the output would be better than the old wysiwyg html editors that used to be popular (for about a week) but I can think of reasons not to have it. Whether the demand warrants the resources is not up to me...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

It's popular enough to warrant, at the very least, a 21 page topic here on area51. I have also seen numerous requests for it, and there are multiple MODs either in development or in the MODDB.

I'm not saying that there aren't things that are a higher priority, and in fact this is in limbo until the BBCode parser is redone/replaced (see: s9e/TextFormatter), but this is something that many people want and will likely be in a future version of the software (though definitely not 3.1).
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'm working on placing it on phpBB 3.2. It is paused because I'm waiting for SCE's owner.

If there's no answer from him for too long... I'll have to take over and work on it until he's back. I just hope he hasn't abandoned it.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

i think tinymce and ckeditor is powerful than SCE and update and support many years.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

TInyMCE not as much. CKE is, undoubtedly, for HTML editing, a really powerful tool. But the source code mode is too weak as it behaves just as a textarea.
If you know a way to make it so that in source code mode it does not behave as a "just" a textarea and have the buttons actually working in harmony, then I'll be glad to change my mind to CKE. Otherwise, I'll stick to SCE as I have been for some months.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

so what are you waiting for merge SCE in phpBB 3.1 ?