PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
Frug

Re: [RFC] WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Frug »

DavidIQ wrote:That's actually a "feature" so unless you're going to file a ticket with them as a usability improvement or actually tell them something about it then it's not going to change. Personally I don't see how the buttons mean much of anything at all in source view.
I strongly disagree with this. If you remove the current functionality of using buttons while viewing source, just so you can have the WYSIWIG thing, it's like taking one step forward and two steps back. I will almost certainly use source view a lot, having buttons work in it is a basic necessity.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

ckeditor4 is released on 27 NOV.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Meis2M wrote:ckeditor4 is released on 27 NOV.
We know. ;)
Marshalrusty wrote:The folks from CKEditor were kind enough to personally let us know about a release. Posting this here so everyone is aware.
Hey Guys (and maybe Gals)!

Just thought I'd let you know that CKEditor 4 is out. I know that in the past you opted for SCEditor because it was better suited for BBCode, but CKEditor 4's code has been simplified and optimized. Check it out here.

It also features a new skin and best of all, it's still Open Source!

Even if you're committed to stick with your current choice, keep us in mind for your next release.

Regards,

Sebastian Stefanov
CKEditor Development Core Team
Check the last posts for my opinion (and some other's opinion) on that matter.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

ckeditor4 is powerful

i installed it on my test forum :
http://www.php-bb.ir/test3/posting.php? ... ly&f=2&t=1

admin

just installed smile and... not working yet.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Does not seem to be that good. It is good, no doubt about that but... Is it that good?
There are some interesting features, yeah... There's that "insert paragraph here"... Giving a way to show if we want to include another line in the list item or just add a new line or terminate the list... But that's not enough to throw it's drawbacks.
One of the things I question is why so much processing when changing to source code mode if it basically just shows what was in the source when the user was changing modes...
Another thing is why does those buttons must stop functioning when in source code mode?
If for BBCode it requires a plugin, is there already a plugin well made ready to just have some adaptations and implement? I don't know one.
I didn't check CKE's new source code but if it's still the same puzzle, I'll reject it.

Anyway, we (at least, I)'ll prepare this part such that it's easy enough for the "user" to use a different editor for phpBB.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Frug wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:That's actually a "feature" so unless you're going to file a ticket with them as a usability improvement or actually tell them something about it then it's not going to change. Personally I don't see how the buttons mean much of anything at all in source view.
I strongly disagree with this. If you remove the current functionality of using buttons while viewing source, just so you can have the WYSIWIG thing, it's like taking one step forward and two steps back. I will almost certainly use source view a lot, having buttons work in it is a basic necessity.
That's fine and dandy...except you forget that CKEditor was not created with forums in mind. The current behavior is perfectly acceptable in most scenarios and is the behavior of most other WYSIWIG editors. The fact that we currently have buttons that work without a WYSYWIG editor means we are already used to it so we expect it. SCE seems to have been created/modeled firstly for forums and secondly for everything else and is why it probably makes more sense to use that instead.

This button disabling in source view on CKEditor can be removed via a plugin anyways but I wouldn't suggest wasting time on that at this point. Since SCE is mostly working we should go with that but allow replacing it with something else if the forum admin wishes to (as was mentioned by Eric already).

Atramez_Zeton

Post by Atramez_Zeton »

This editing is important specially for RTL languages since you find it hard to use BBCode with Arabic and Persian languages, although its hard to understand for people who are new to internet and doesn't have any experience with slightly of any programming languages.

+1

Frug

Post by Frug »

DavidIQ wrote: That's fine and dandy...except you forget that CKEditor was not created with forums in mind. The current behavior is perfectly acceptable in most scenarios and is the behavior of most other WYSIWIG editors. The fact that we currently have buttons that work without a WYSYWIG editor means we are already used to it so we expect it. SCE seems to have been created/modeled firstly for forums and secondly for everything else and is why it probably makes more sense to use that instead.

This button disabling in source view on CKEditor can be removed via a plugin anyways but I wouldn't suggest wasting time on that at this point. Since SCE is mostly working we should go with that but allow replacing it with something else if the forum admin wishes to (as was mentioned by Eric already).
Apologies but I must express my lack of interest for the motivations of the authors. I think you've provided an explanation for why they lack it right before providing a reason why we should have it: They made one thing without our project in mind, we are using it for something else, thus we should use a solution for our project or alter it for our uses.

It's not like I want to argue fervently about it, I respect that as a dev you need to consider more than functionality alone, but as a user I can tell you that buttons working in source view is great for me and I would love to have it. Without it the editor sounds incomplete, and I worry that I'll run into a frequent use case where the visual one is not behaving as I like, but the source one lacks buttons at all.

Frug

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Frug »

Just checked wordpress and their editor has working buttons in source view. Also it looks really nice.

DavidIQ

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by DavidIQ »

We aren't going with CKEditor, I think you can figure that out from reading through this topic, so there's really nothing to argue here. ;-)