PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
tct

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by tct »

+1 :D :D :D
I'm Vietnamese so I'm not good in speaking English!!!

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

This should be kept as an extension to let people choose if they want to use plain text editor as it now, or install this WYSIWYG editor as an extension.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

No need. One of the configurations of SCE is a superset of the current system. As a superset, it works and feels the same way although it is that system and not phpBB's.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Hi
why SCE Editor not update anymore?

boilingstream

Post by boilingstream »

exx8

Post by exx8 »

I can't tell you, how much bad impression the lack of this feature creates.
When a user, sees both ipb and phpbb, he sees that while in ipb, he can work like he usually works, in phpbb he has to learn programming of a bizarre language.
There is no room for mistakes, no user will look up this term in the web, probably because he won't know it.
So, what do I think should happen? I believe phpbb must integrate a wysiwyg like media-wiki has recently done.
It must be a default feature.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

exx8 wrote:I can't tell you, how much bad impression the lack of this feature creates.
When a user, sees both ipb and phpbb, he sees that while in ipb, he can work like he usually works, in phpbb he has to learn programming of a bizarre language.
There is no room for mistakes, no user will look up this term in the web, probably because he won't know it.
So, what do I think should happen? I believe phpbb must integrate a wysiwyg like media-wiki has recently done.
It must be a default feature.
For starters if not done properly security issues can crop up. I can't tell you how much of a bad impression it will be to have a security-hole ridden WYSIWYG editor in our product. ;) This is why careful consideration and a lengthy process has gone into this.
Besides nobody has to search anything on the web, as you've stated, to know how to use the current set of buttons that are just above the text area. All they have to do is hover over each button to figure out what each one is for.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Besides what David said...
exx8 wrote:[...]in phpbb he has to learn programming of a bizarre language.
First, I take it that you have no idea what "programming" is. BBCode is a markup language, similar to (but much simpler than) HTML.

Second, it's hardly "bizarre". Many other boards support similar markups, even sharing many of the same basic ones (like Bold, Italic and Underline).

Should phpBB support a WYSIWYG editor? Of course, but it's not life and death, really.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I also have an extra comment:
Are you sure BBCode is a bizarrer language than Markdown? Markdown only works better than BBCode for the simplest of the simple.
If you think Markdown is better than BBCode, you first start by making a topic on that (give the link too, pls) and specify how can board admins specify to phpBB how custom Markdown should look like.

exx8

Post by exx8 »

DavidIQ wrote: For starters if not done properly security issues can crop up. I can't tell you how much of a bad impression it will be to have a security-hole ridden WYSIWYG editor in our product. ;) This is why careful consideration and a lengthy process has gone into this.
Besides nobody has to search anything on the web, as you've stated, to know how to use the current set of buttons that are just above the text area. All they have to do is hover over each button to figure out what each one is for.
I believe that the security issues are solvable.
If IPB and VB have added this feature, it is a standard, which phpbb doesn't follow.
Can you remember when the development team was against quick replies? Conservatism leads us to nothing.
A user can learn how to use bbcode, but he can in the same probability switch to another board with wysiwyg.
Don't you think it's odd, that phpbb will be soon the last board that hasn't switched to WYSIWYG? it is far more user-friendly.
People are not used to use an archaic, system of programming. If it had been the case, then everyone would have built sites, etc.
Replying in a forum should not be harder than calling your friend with a phone.
Pony99CA wrote:Besides what David said...
exx8 wrote:[...]in phpbb he has to learn programming of a bizarre language.
First, I take it that you have no idea what "programming" is. BBCode is a markup language, similar to (but much simpler than) HTML.

Second, it's hardly "bizarre". Many other boards support similar markups, even sharing many of the same basic ones (like Bold, Italic and Underline).

Should phpBB support a WYSIWYG editor? Of course, but it's not life and death, really.

Steve
First, I do consider html as programming. I program in php and java, but thank you, for mocking me, because I think differently.
Nobody should learn how to reply in a forum.
The first rule, in human engineering, is that an action must be intuitive.
Using bbcode might be intuitive for you, but for most of the users, it isn't.
And this conclusion has been concluded, by most of the developers, including the most conservative ones.
What was the Norma 3 years ago, isn't relevant anymore. While we speak, more and more forums are transferring to WYSIWYG.
PHPBB can ignore this, and become less and less relevant to its audience.
By the way, the users of IPB and VB probably don't even know what bbcode is. So, yeah, it is a bizarre language.
BBcode is like the Gothic Language, it was popular, but it isn't anymore.
I believe, that WYSIWYG is a game changer. So, nobody will die if phpbb won't include WYIWYG, well except of phpbb itself.
brunoais wrote:I also have an extra comment:
Are you sure BBCode is a bizarrer language than Markdown? Markdown only works better than BBCode for the simplest of the simple.
If you think Markdown is better than BBCode, you first start by making a topic on that (give the link too, pls) and specify how can board admins specify to phpBB how custom Markdown should look like.
Have I said a word in favor of markdown? I really don't care what phpbb will do behind the scenes (well I do, but it isn't crucial).
If you want, phpbb can use verses of the bible, to mark its posts. I really don't care.
I believe that before the notifications had been developed, a WYIWYG should have been integrated, this is the most important update that phpbb development team needs to make.