PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
brunoais

Re: WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by brunoais »

@Nicofuma, @joshyPHP, regardless of the above question in this post, what do you think?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

brunoais wrote:You mean... The ones sent to the indent/outdent are the selected text (including nodes) or do you mean is the text node the separation unit?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. Can you give examples?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

brunoais wrote:@Nicofuma, @joshyPHP, regardless of the above question in this post, what do you think?
I think you should go with whatever is the simplest and has the best chance of being ready in time for the release you target.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

+1
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Are you OK if I don't do this and give more time for discussion? I guess it is not something that important to have and we may have better suggestions from phpBB's users.
I'll keep this working for inline BBCode (b,i,u,etc...) but it won't work for block-level BBCode.

@Pony99CA I'll get you one later. I'm a bit too tired.

umarizal

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by umarizal »

Are there any plans to use a WYSIWYG editor in phpBB 3.2?
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

umarizal wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 3:44 pm Are there any plans to use a WYSIWYG editor in phpBB 3.2?
No. There will not be one in 3.2

umarizal

Post by umarizal »

There are plans to include WYSIWYG editors in future versions of phpBB?

I ask because many forum scripts like IPB, UBB, SMF, MyBB, several of them already have this built years WYSIWIG editors.

If there is no plan, someone would know the reason of the phpBB development team does not work in this direction?

If there are no plans to include such functionality, phpBB would be going against the tide of all other forum scripts and even other types, such as CMS Wordpress and Joomla, for example?

Thank you ;-)
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

The fact of the matter is that it was planned for 3.2 but the person that was working on it was unable to finish it in time for release and it's still unfinished. There is obviously a plan to include it in a future version but proper implementation has been a difficult task. All of those forum scripts you've mentioned have a difficult task of supporting custom BBCodes and some don't even bother with it. This is the most challenging part and why it's not been finished.

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 4:23 pm The fact of the matter is that it was planned for 3.2 but the person that was working on it was unable to finish it in time for release and it's still unfinished. There is obviously a plan to include it in a future version but proper implementation has been a difficult task. All of those forum scripts you've mentioned have a difficult task of supporting custom BBCodes and some don't even bother with it. This is the most challenging part and why it's not been finished.
There is a WYSIWYG editor Extension https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2322921 who works very well (even in phpbb 3.2) would it be so difficult to do the same thing just as a standard feature ?