PHPBB3-14000 - Add support for emoji

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.2/Rhea branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.2.
JoshyPHP

Re: PHPBB3-14000 - Add support for emoji

Post by JoshyPHP »

Mess wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:24 pm Testing from Android mobile.
👺😝😱👌👍
By the way, if you or anybody else feel like testing some more I'd be interested in finding out how the different OSes handle any of those:☺ ☹ ✔ ✖ © ® ™

They are characters that are supposed to be displayed as text by default, if my understanding of Unicode is correct. If you copy/paste them like I did they will be displayed as text but if you input them with an emoji selector they should be displayed as emoji.

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

Great 👍

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

JoshyPHP wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pmhow the different OSes handle
It's up to the used font(s) only. But if phpBB wants to go the same way as others and replace characters by pictures: http://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html and http://apps.timwhitlock.info/emoji/tables/unicode have comparison tables.
JoshyPHP wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pmThey are characters that are supposed to be displayed as text by default, if my understanding of Unicode is correct.
Yes. And how color comes in can be read in http://typography.guru/journal/windows-color-fonts/.
JoshyPHP wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pmIf you copy/paste them like I did they will be displayed as text but if you input them with an emoji selector they should be displayed as emoji.
That's not true - in the first case you're dealing with Emoji characters, in the latter you're just dealing with pictures. Just look at all the posts here: I'm unable to copy what it's all about, because those are pictures, not characters anymore. The only advantage of pictures is that they look the same in every client and on every OS.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

We may be talking about different things. I'm talking about Unicode variation selectors VS15 and VS16, or U+FE0E and U+FE0F respectively.

If someone copy/pastes a text, say, a press release that mentions "PlayStation®" it shouldn't be displayed as "PlayStation®️" where the ®︎ part has been turned into an emoji. That's because U+00AE (REGISTERED SIGN) is meant to be displayed as text by default, not as an emoji. If it's entered via an emoji selector it should be inserted as U+00AE U+FE0F (two codepoints) to indicate that it should be displayed as an emoji. They don't seem to be doing that consistently though.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

I thought emojis required characters outside the Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP), (being 4 byte characters) and therefore in MySQL require the utf8mb4 character set, which isn't set by default, and is only available in versions >= 5.3.3. If that is correct would not a check on the database type, version, and character set used need to be made before allowing emojis?

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

Characters outside the BMP are transparently encoded as numeric character references before storage and decoded before rendering or editing.