[RFC] Quote with link to original post

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.2/Rhea branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.2.
brunoais

Re: [RFC] Quote with link to original post

Post by brunoais »

[@AliasM2K] I'm not talking to ya. I'm talking to Senky, this topic's OP.

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

Ok. Done.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Oh sorry guys. I absolutelly forget about searching wneh posting this topic. Some of the mods could merge topics or do what is required? Thanks :)

MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

+1
I think that something like this would be perfect:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... back_link/

victor114

Post by victor114 »

It is a Great function and need be add to forum.
+1 !

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

We'll add this with the new BBCode parser, I'm sure of it.

Weskey

Post by Weskey »

Also +1 vote.

It would also be necessary to take some care to avoid redirects useless. Explain. If the post is referred on the same page, just scroll the screen to the quote, and only if the message is mentioned on another page, the redirect happens, it can leave the most dynamic forum for those who want to follow the quotes to accompany posts .

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I presume that "redirects useless" means "useless redirects". However, if they're links, they are not "redirects" at all, just URLs -- a redirect is something that goes to one page (or looks like it will go one page), then goes to another. So just putting the full URL to the post there would work.

Also, it's very difficult for phpBB to determine if a post is on the "same page" as another. Remember that different users may be able to display differing numbers of posts per page and may even have the posts sorted differently.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Weskey

Post by Weskey »

Pony99CA wrote:I presume that "redirects useless" means "useless redirects". However, if they're links, they are not "redirects" at all, just URLs -- a redirect is something that goes to one page (or looks like it will go one page), then goes to another. So just putting the full URL to the post there would work.

Also, it's very difficult for phpBB to determine if a post is on the "same page" as another. Remember that different users may be able to display differing numbers of posts per page and may even have the posts sorted differently.

Steve
I think that it is possible, IPB and XenForo implement this option.

Did some testing here created a simple PHP page, and added a few links with anchors, and at the end I created a function that checked if the anchor some of those links exist on the page, if it existed it would go straight to the anchor, if not him redirected to another page.

I went searching and found that it is almost the same operation that the IPB and use XF, then I believe that it is possible that implementation.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Weskey wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:I presume that "redirects useless" means "useless redirects". However, if they're links, they are not "redirects" at all, just URLs -- a redirect is something that goes to one page (or looks like it will go one page), then goes to another. So just putting the full URL to the post there would work.

Steve
I think that it is possible, IPB and XenForo implement this option.
Yeah... it is possible.
On the server-side though. It is very hard to implement correctly but on the client side it can be done quite easily (in concept).

I think a good way would be to add a data- attribute to the link with the postID. All posts hare its id in the HTML so a single js script can be used to search for them. If such link is found, just replace the url with just the hash to the post.