[RFC]Quote link to quoted message

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.2/Rhea branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.2.
brunoais

[RFC]Quote link to quoted message

Post by brunoais »

I'd like to request so that the tag [quote ]
contains, optionally, a link to the post quoted.
Introduction
When we quote someone, it's better to quote just the thing we want to discuss instead of the whole post or most of the post.
Instead of doing that, we may mark in the quote tag itself the post we are referring to when we are quoting.
If I want to discuss a small part of the post and a user wants the context of the quote, that user just needs to use the link in the quote example:

Code: Select all

[quote="brunoais" post="15"]dsd[/quote]
[quote="brunoais" source="http://www.phpbb.com/support/irc/"]dsd[/quote]
In the 1st one, it references a post in the current forum, in the second one (needs discussion if using or not) it's an external website.
I believe that, with this, we can have the source themselves in the quote itself and not only the one who wrote it.

Proposal
Alter quote BBcode so that we can have a source for the quote itself in the themed quote markup.
Ofc someone could have:

[quote="some1"][/quote]
source post: [some url]
But almost no one does that and the link (if it references a post) can be plain wrong (a forum and a page, instead of the post itself).

How to do it
Change the bbcode.php file e dependencies so that it parses the quote tag with the changes.
I've tested. By the definitions of PHPBB it's impossible to have clashes with this because usernames must not contain double quotes.

Pros
  • Each theme can have it's own way to show from where the quote was made.
  • The system can
  • The user who sees the psot may check out the context from where the post came from
Cons
Seems like there aren't any, actually. Can someone find one?

Extension (if accepted and do after the above)
Also save the time of the post. We can also mark when was the other post made so that we can have something like:

[url= someUrlToPost ]brunoais wrote at [date] [time][/url]
Note
I may develop this myself. I just need to know if it is accepted or not.

Edit: code tags added as requested

ADD:
Issue created: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10620

Development of the code of this RFC is stalled until the new BBCode engine is done.
Last edited by brunoais on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC]Quote link to quoted message

Post by MichaelC »

In that case, maybe there should also be a uid field which creates a link to the user?
It would need to be URL to post or post # on the board, not in the topic.

Treating it as a Custom BBcode, something like.

Example BBcode:

[quote user="theFinn" uid="3" post="7444"]quote here[/quote]
Example HTML Replacement:

<br /><blockquote><div><cite><a href="http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3">
brunoais</a> wrote <a href="http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1393&p=7444#p7444">(Link)</a>:</cite>dsd</div></blockquote
BBcode Usage:

[quote user="{SIMPLETEXT1}" uid="{NUMBER1}" post="{NUMBER2}"]quote here[/quote]
HTML Replacement:

<br /><blockquote><div><cite><a href="http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u={NUMBER1}">
{SIMPLETEXT1}</a> wrote <a href="http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1393&p={NUMBER2}#p{NUMBER2}>"(Link)</a>:</cite>dsd</div></blockquote
On another note, can you please use code tags to put your bbcodes in as its hard to understand when post="etc" is in the bbcode wrote bit?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Hum... 1 problem in your approach. What happens to the

[quote="username"]
? Do we make it so that it supports both?

I was trying to propose something that is more scalable according to what we have at the moment. Something that is compatible with the current syntax and extend it with more features. Anyway your suggestion does make sense and I like it.
Anyway, I'm for that. Still any of the options is optional but, if it has one of: uid, post, source it must contain user.
Picking up what you have written (i like :)) it should be something like this:

\[quote(?:="([^"]+)"|[ ]+user="([^"]+)"[ ]+(?:uid="([^"]+)"[ ]+)?(?:((?:post|link))="([^"]+)")?[ ]*)?](?:(?:[^\[]*\[)+?/quote\])
Comments are really welcome :D

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I think having it separate from the main tag makes more sense. I don't think changing the syntax is a big problem but it does mean that you would need to change it in all current posts in the updater.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Unknown Bliss wrote:I think having it separate from the main tag makes more sense.
I didn't understand.
Unknown Bliss wrote:I don't think changing the syntax is a big problem but it does mean that you would need to change it in all current posts in the updater.
I'm also talking about the people who are already used to writing the bbcode manually.
Anyway, that code I wrote is compatible with the current way of writing the quote tags and the way of writing you proposed.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

To be honest, a lot of things people will be doing will change in 3.1.

Thats to be expected, you can't say don't change the syntax because people will have to do something differently. Thats the point of new releases. Changes (hopefully for the better).

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

^ To be honest... I'm unable to contradict you. Mostly because I'm not against to what you stated. Now... With just 1 yes I don't know if this should be done. So I'm inviting more people to come here and vote/propose changes so that this can be done in the best way possible.

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Personally I do not see anything against it, so a +1 from me too.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Are there more +1?
Developer team. May I develop this functionality?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

brunoais wrote:Developer team. May I develop this functionality?
Go for it!

+1 to the idea, too
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog