[Template] overall_header_breadcrumb_before

These requests for events in core phpBB have been merged into 3.1/Ascraeus and will be available with the next release.
Pony99CA

Re: [Template] overall_header_breadcrumb_before

Post by Pony99CA »

wintstar wrote:No way in the ACP is not the solution. For Marc's Board3 Portal it is needed too.
First, I didn't say that you had to use the ACP. I just said that the Main Website should be the very first thing in the breadcrumb list (if that option is set). That means that your text should come after the Main Website link.

Also, as I said when I suggested the Main Website ACP option, it could be used by Portal MODs.
wintstar wrote:No Prosk8er that ist a bad option.
Why is it "bad"? Just because you say it doesn't make it true, so how about some valid reasons.
wintstar wrote:Why it is so difficult for me this template event to put through.
A few posts makes it "so difficult"? Anyway, maybe people don't see the need for the event because you haven't given valid reasons why the Main Website ACP option isn't sufficient.

Even if you do come up with valid reasons, as mentioned above, any text that you add should go after the Main Website link (if it's displayed).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Zilor

Post by Zilor »

overall_header_breadcrumb_before would be usefull for applications that build on top of the phpBB kernel and don't extend the main forum (like galleries, cusomisation database, CMS, Blogs, etc.)
But sadly you can't rermove Board Index from the breadcrumbs so "overall_header_breadcrumb_before" would only be usefull for Portals. :/

My suggestion:
Instead of hooking template events there should be a php function which allows you to build your own breadcrumbs
So that you can create Breadcrumbs which looks like this:
Home < Blog index < How to bake pizza
Home < Page < Contact
Home < Customisation Database < NV Who whas here?
Home < Galerie index < My fluffy Cat
Home < Portal < Board index < Books < Books are evil
Home < Board index < Books < Books are evil
Board index < Books < Books are evil
Home < Profil < Zilor*
Home < BugTracker < My Computer explode

(*This should be handeld by an extension and not integraded into phpBB's core)

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Zilor wrote:overall_header_breadcrumb_before would be usefull for applications that build on top of the phpBB kernel and don't extend the main forum (like galleries, cusomisation database, CMS, Blogs, etc.)
But sadly you can't rermove Board Index from the breadcrumbs so "overall_header_breadcrumb_before" would only be usefull for Portals. :/

My suggestion:
Instead of hooking template events there should be a php function which allows you to build your own breadcrumbs
So that you can create Breadcrumbs which looks like this:
If you look at includes/functions_display.php > function generate_forum_nav(), you can see that the current way that breadcrumbs are generated is pretty simplistic. This would need a major overhaul.

But I agree. Breadcrumbs are an increasingly popular way of navigating websites. I can't remember a single time when I used the "< Return to Board Index" button. I always use the breadcrumbs.

Besides, I would benefit from extended functionality ;). Would make my life easier: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2238161

But I think it's too late for 3.1, perhaps 3.2.