Genders

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
spello

Genders

Post by spello »

It would be a great improvement if you have ability to choose your gender. Currently I'm using THIS phpBB3.0 modification, but sex selection should be implemented into phpBB3.1 without having to install any external addons. I think it's one of the basic functionality.

Master_Cylinder

Re: Genders

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I don't see why we need to differentiate genders for forums. I voted against this idea in the community forum too. Maybe as an Extension for forums that do want it but not in the core.

-1 for me...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Why wouldn't you just do this with a drop-down Custom Profile Field? :? You could even make it required at registration if you wanted. Plus, it works in phpBB 3.0.x today -- no core changes or MODs/extensions are necessary.

Does that MOD provide something beyond what CPFs already provide?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Pony99CA wrote:Why wouldn't you just do this with a drop-down Custom Profile Field? :? You could even make it required at registration if you wanted. Plus, it works in phpBB 3.0.x today -- no core changes or MODs/extensions are necessary.

Does that MOD provide something beyond what CPFs already provide?

Steve
Yea you can make custom profile field with option :)

spello

Post by spello »

But if every user has his gender determined, we could do more with phpBB script. I mean, script messages could be displayed according to gender. In English maybe it's not that visible, but other languages uses different forms for female and male.

You're right, I can add custom profile field, but I still think that this kind of functionality is something basic and should be a part of main package.
Pony99CA wrote:Does that MOD provide something beyond what CPFs already provide?
This mod also adds small image with gender right after nickname.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

spello wrote:But if every user has his gender determined, we could do more with phpBB script. I mean, script messages could be displayed according to gender. In English maybe it's not that visible, but other languages uses different forms for female and male.
Language genders don't apply to people as far as I know. They only apply to titles (Mr., Ms., etc.), and phpBB doesn't address people by title.

Gender for things, like "el" vs. "la" in Spanish, is handled by translators in the message files.
spello wrote: You're right, I can add custom profile field, but I still think that this kind of functionality is something basic and should be a part of main package.
You're entitled to that opinion, of course, but let's see how others feel.
spello wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Does that MOD provide something beyond what CPFs already provide?
This mod also adds small image with gender right after nickname.
OK, but that's a "meh" feature in my opinion. Plus, if Custom Profile Fields allow icons (as suggested in an RFC, I beleive), you might be able to add those icons when defining the CPF.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Pony99CA wrote:
spello wrote:But if every user has his gender determined, we could do more with phpBB script. I mean, script messages could be displayed according to gender. In English maybe it's not that visible, but other languages uses different forms for female and male.
Language genders don't apply to people as far as I know. They only apply to titles (Mr., Ms., etc.), and phpBB doesn't address people by title.

Gender for things, like "el" vs. "la" in Spanish, is handled by translators in the message files.
I was thinking about writing RFC "Language genders" when I saw this topic. I just finished translation of phpBB 3.1 and I can say in some languages would be very nice to have grammatical genders in phpBB. For me it is similar issue as plurals. In English language there is only one form of the word, but in my (Czech) language we use different form of the word when we talk about man or woman. Example from common.php

'NOTIFICATION_PM' => '%1$s sent you a Private Message "%2$s".',

If the sender is male there should be: '%1$s vám poslal soukromou zprávu "%2$s".',
If the sender is female there should be: '%1$s vám poslala soukromou zprávu "%2$s".', (added "A" to the end of word poslal)
As a translator I have to choose if I will write about everyone as about males or females or I can write something not too nice like this: '%1$s vám poslal(a) soukromou zprávu "%2$s".', It's kind of OK when there is only one such a word in sentence, but it really looks ugly if there is more words with brackets, or if there is bigger change in word than adding "A" to the end of the word.
If we know gender of user who sent the message we would get nicer translations.

Another example from the same file:

'NO_AVATAR_SELECTED' => 'You have not selected any avatar.',

In this case the phpBB talks to me.
If I'm male I would like to see Nevybral jste žádný avátar
If I'm female I would like to see Nevybrala jste žádný avátar (added A to the end of word Nevybral)
As a translator I can write Nevybral(a) jste žádný avátar (doesn't look to nice especially when there is in the sentence more words like this) or Nevybrali jste žádný avátar (added "I" instead of "A" to the end of the word. In this case the word is correct for both males and females, but in my opinion it is super polite (T–V distinction) and I would prefer to see the first option - with or without "A").

So while I don't need to know gender of users of board only for the reason to know it I think it would be really great improvement (and great amount of work for translators and coders who would have to find those sentences in language files) if there are genders in language files.

Pico88

Post by Pico88 »

Same in Polish, so +1 for leschek.

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn »

Same for Russian and for most Slavic languages, apparently.
+1 to having this in the core.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

The solution for this is to rewrite Custom profile fields. It was proposed many times, to remove all hardcoded profile fields like WWW, ICQ, MSN etc.. and recreate them using CPF. If this would be done, then we could add default CPF (www, msn, icq..) and also Gender as default CPF. Then if Gender CPF would be enabled in ACP and user filled it in, then phpbb would display the right language to him.