Calendar with events.

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Ger

Re: Calendar with events.

Post by Ger »

The team will likewise produce and maintain officially-supported extensions.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

That would be perfect for calendars, newlestters and wysywig editors...
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Mess

Post by Mess »

nm

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

As of this time, we have no plans to implement a calendar as part of phpBB any time in the future.

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Ok. I hope someone from extensions team to make one and support it :) Because it will be nice and allot of people will use that. :)

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

i did a 3.0 calendar which should be portable to 3.1 as it was done in oop fashion.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

sajaki wrote:i did a 3.0 calendar which should be portable to 3.1 as it was done in oop fashion.
Do you have a demo?

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

keith10456 wrote:
sajaki wrote:i did a 3.0 calendar which should be portable to 3.1 as it was done in oop fashion.
Do you have a demo?
Yea do you have one demo to see :)

Mikie Watson

Post by Mikie Watson »

Jessica. wrote:Not needed...better left off as an extension.
I'm curious as to why I significantly disagree with you. I think that an Event Calendar is an intricate part of a Community Forum. In fact my major competitor who uses VBulletin has an event calendar. The members of their site wish I had one on mine and continue to ask for one.

Competitor: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/c ... styleid=26
Their Calendar is jam packed with birthdays and events...

My Site: http://www.imtbtrails.com/calendar.php
As you can see, my Google Calendar is empty because no one wants to hassle submitting me the information so I can upload it.

Just the fact that as I search the web for a phpBB compatible Event Calendar and find people searching as well indicates to me that phpBB is losing users because it does not offer the same features. I in fact am considering transferring my Site to Xenforo because I am looking for such features...

Just a thought...Thank you!

Mikie

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

That's fine. You'll find Xenforo lacking in other parts just as you will find vBulletin lacking in yet other things but I'm pretty sure a calendar is not their biggest draw. Every forum package has its own pluses and minuses and you as an administrator would have to weigh those against each other.

We don't plan on adding a calendar to phpBB as it is not a very popular request whatsoever. We want to keep the base with the most common and requested features. Those other forum softwares want to cater to everyone under the sun and include many things that you either won't use or don't want.

That is not what we want for phpBB. An extension that you can just drop in (downloaded and installed directly from the ACP once 3.2 rolls around) would work just fine and is the direction we want to go towards. Also those softwares have a high cost and they pay their developers contrary to what is done in phpBB which is developed and maintained by volunteers which keeps it free for everyone so the time spent here is far less for obvious reasons. Spending it on things that aren't a priority doesn't seem like the best use of developer's time.