[Rejected] Removal of subsilver2 in 3.1

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.

Remove subsilver2?

Yes, remove it completely
69%
Just remove it from the package, but provide official download and support for 3.1
24%
Other / Undecided
7%

Total votes: 71

dude111

Post by dude111 »

It's still incorrect as it says keep it in 3.1, we aren't keeping it in 3.1. We are removing if from the default package but still supporting it.
Im glad you are...... I have loved PHPBB for years and the reason I stay on IE6 is because I value my privacy.... I know I am not being spied on either by my browser OR my OS......

Its not right to cut off users because ultimatly its time consuming to do the added work..... In this case you dont have to because SUBSILVER2 is already created and looks excellent!!!!

This Prosilver does not show up right on IE6 but its good enough to be able to use it.... Your SUBSILVER skin doesnt work @ all for some reason... (Its still in the skin list you should keep it operative)

I love your SW,always have....... I have alwsays used SUBSILVER/Subsilver2 I like it the best :) (Even when earlier PHP versions were out and all skins worked for me,if I could I still selected subsilver/2)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [Rejected] Removal of subsilver2 in 3.1

Post by DavidIQ »

We, and really most everyone else that wants to keep their sanity, do not support IE6 so if subsilver2 appears broken or inoperable in that browser, the developers won't be spending any time in trying to correct those issues. Plus subsilver2 is no more in 3.2.

Khaos-Rage

Re:

Post by Khaos-Rage »

dude111 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:27 pmI stay on IE6 is because I value my privacy
Lol

Microsoft IE 6 Security Vulnerabilities

https://dev.modern.ie/ie6countdown/

Less than 1% of the world except china disagrees with you.

Why not just use something like firefox, or pale moon?

dude111

Post by dude111 »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:50 am We, and really most everyone else that wants to keep their sanity, do not support IE6 so if subsilver2 appears broken or inoperable in that browser, the developers won't be spending any time in trying to correct those issues. Plus subsilver2 is no more in 3.2.
Hmmm you mean they got rid of it totally in 3.2??

I tihnk it helps them when a user like ME comes along and says PROSILVER works somewhat in older browsers as they dont have a way of testing it.......

They said they are gonna keep supporting it so would anyone be kind enough to tell me how to get the icons to show up on subsilver2 using IE6? (3.1) -- The skin looks excellent but I see no icons/buttons because of how it is in the CSS... I have tweaked the CSS slightly and I can see the TEXT of where the icons go but not the icons.....

This prosilver skin works better to be quite honest.. Its not formatted as good but the buttons are there,etc.......

If PHPBB doesnt mind would someone try to explain how to get the buttons,etc.... to show up on IE6 on subsilver2? (IE6 reads things slightly different) regardless of the browser,SUBSILVER2 is a great skin! (Fast,basic)

Thank you guys.....

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: [Rejected] Removal of subsilver2 in 3.1

Post by Arty »

Next thing you are going to ask how to make it work in Netscape 3?

Nobody can help you with that because no sane person would waste time (first finding ancient computer with that browser, then banging head against the wall trying to make logical things work in ancient browser that doesn't understand basic logic) dealing with ancient browser that was bane of web developers for almost a decade. Supporting few users who are stuck in last century is not a valid reason to maintain ancient code.

If you are stuck in the past, you can use phpBB from the past as well.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re:

Post by callumacrae »

dude111 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:34 am
DavidIQ wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:50 am We, and really most everyone else that wants to keep their sanity, do not support IE6 so if subsilver2 appears broken or inoperable in that browser, the developers won't be spending any time in trying to correct those issues. Plus subsilver2 is no more in 3.2.
Hmmm you mean they got rid of it totally in 3.2??

I tihnk it helps them when a user like ME comes along and says PROSILVER works somewhat in older browsers as they dont have a way of testing it.......

They said they are gonna keep supporting it so would anyone be kind enough to tell me how to get the icons to show up on subsilver2 using IE6? (3.1) -- The skin looks excellent but I see no icons/buttons because of how it is in the CSS... I have tweaked the CSS slightly and I can see the TEXT of where the icons go but not the icons.....

This prosilver skin works better to be quite honest.. Its not formatted as good but the buttons are there,etc.......

If PHPBB doesnt mind would someone try to explain how to get the buttons,etc.... to show up on IE6 on subsilver2? (IE6 reads things slightly different) regardless of the browser,SUBSILVER2 is a great skin! (Fast,basic)

Thank you guys.....
Send a pull request fixing everything! I'm sure if you have enough time to deal with the rest of the web being broken for you, you can find the time to send a fix :)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog