[RFC] SolveMedia Spambot Countermeasure

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

[RFC] SolveMedia Spambot Countermeasure

Post by VSE » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:26 pm

phpBB already has the reCaptcha plug-in as a spambot counter measure.

As you may have noticed, the reCaptcha plug in has out-stayed its welcome. Nowadays, reCaptcha's challenges are just as difficult to read and frustrating and infuriating as the older types of capcthas that reCaptcha was supposed to improve upon.

Enter Solve Media. Their plug-in is based off reCaptcha. In fact their php scripts look almost identical to those from reCaptcha. However, SolveMedia uses a much more readable and human friendly captcha! Just like reCaptcha, it is free to sign up for to obtain a set keys. And you can even earn $$ each time a user solves the captcha :D

You can see some example here: http://www.solvemedia.com/publishers/captcha-type-in

The implementation of this plug-in should be fairly identical to that of reCaptcha, with only a few tweaks. In fact on the page I linked to already has a link to phpBB code for implementing this as a MOD to phpBB.

I suggest if we are going to offer reCaptcha with phpBB, then we should also offer Solve Media.
Has an irascible disposition.

Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] SolveMedia Spambot Countermeasure

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 pm

phpBB already has a CAPTCHA plug-in facility, and that should be used to support Solve Media. Plus, they already have phpBB plug-ins already.

Also, if we implement the Q&A Plugin By Default RFC, that will stop most bot registrations anyway, so there's little need for adding this to the core.

Finally, the above RFC should get rid of many of the "squiggly letter" CAPTCHAs, leaving us with Q&A and (maybe) ReCAPTCHA. Trying to support everybody's favorite CAPTCHA in the core will just make for more "Which CAPTCHA should I choose" traffic in the Support or Discussion forums.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:56 am

Except from that this type of captcha requires user to speak English (because Profitable type is too easy to break)! Or is Insightful type available also for another languages? Simply can this be used internationally?

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:25 am

You say this is easier to read, which basically means that it is less effective against spambots.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:25 am

Yes, Profitable type is very easy to read.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:10 am

After looking at it, I would say it would be a trivial task for bots to add recognition for this captcha and break it extremely easily. If it becomes a common enough captcha, it will be broken very quickly. Rather than suggest that phpBB implement the captcha, I would suggest you just use it yourself or release it as a captcha plugin yourself, otherwise, if it were to be an available plugin for phpBB by default, it would be broken much sooner.

Seriousness aside, it does know at least one thing about the companies it advertises :D
http://i45.tinypic.com/2yo98xh.png

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Rejected.

Feel free to create a captcha plugin for the current system
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM